Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spicy boiled peanut help

FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
I have done boiled peanuts a few times with varying levels of success (and failure)

I never know what salt to water to peanut ration to use

so I bought 2 lbs of peanuts today. I want to make some spicy boiled peanuts for this weekend. can someone help with my seasoning, salt to water ratio, and any other tips you have? The pot I am using is around 14qts?
Boom

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    from boiled-peanut-world.com:

Many online boiled peanut recipes recommend using way too much salt, and then warn you not to leave the boiled peanuts soaking in the water too long or they will become too salty. The proper method of boiling peanuts is to use less salt initially, then the boiled peanuts can soak for many hours and not get saltier over time. 

We recommended boiling with no or little salt until the peanuts get soft and wet inside. Adding salt after they have boiled to softness speeds up the boiling time. Salt slows down the softening of boiled peanuts, just as it slows down the softening while boiling dried beans. 

When you are ready to add salt, start with about 6-8 Tablespoons of salt per gallon of water. I typically use about 8 Tablespoons of salt per Gallon of water (1 Teaspoon of salt per pint of water), but sometimes use up to 10 Tablespoons of salt per gallon for friends that like more salt. 

As you boil the peanuts water evaporates, which increase the salt concentration in the water, so add water as they boil to maintain the same salinity throughout the boil.

It is easier to add salt later in the boil than to reduce the salt if you add too much early. 
    ^ thanks! to make it spicy do I just add raw chopped peppers?
    Boom
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 685
    I use hot sauce. I generally boil 3 hours before I start worrying about getting the seasoning right. After that pull a few every 10 minutes or so until you get them where you want them. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I apply my salt on the front end. I put a heave dose, but that is relative as I generally cook more than a couple of pounds at a time. I think it is a judgement really. You can always add more for the soak, so go conservative if applying up front. 

On the spicy side, I  don’t do them as I love mine without heat or other flavor. Regardless, enjoy the boil, peanuts and the 4th holidays. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • i use spicy crab boil....i like the liquid Zatarian's
    fishing, curing, smoking, cooking, eating. living
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    ^ thanks! to make it spicy do I just add raw chopped peppers?
    Use any of the “liquid” crab/shrimp/crawfish boils. All of these are excellent for peanuts.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 355
    I use a base of bouillon ( beef) and add jalapeños along with potato chunks, pickle chunks and a few odd veggies. Season to taste
    its not for everyone, but I like it