Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crowd Cow A5 Wagyu Briskets

Options
HoustonEgger
HoustonEgger Posts: 616
edited July 2019 in Off Topic
Got this press release yesterday:

First time to the US, Crowd Cow imports the A5 Wagyu Japanese Packer Brisket

Crowd Cow to exclusively import these Packer Briskets, making it available to the public for purchase for the first time ever. 

Seattle, WA: Crowd Cow, the online marketplace that sources its meat directly from the top 1% of farms and ranches across the country, including Japan for its Wagyu products, announced today that they have exclusively imported a limited amount of Japanese A5 Wagyu “Packer Briskets” into the United States. These briskets, the popular cut for barbecuing that comes from the lower chest of the cow, have a unique cut plan, different from that of a domestic brisket, which lends itself to weighing in at over 30 pounds untrimmed. Even more rare and exclusive are the fewer than 20 Olive Wagyu Briskets from Kagawa that Crowd Cow is offering. The marbling and tenderness of authentic Japanese A5 Wagyu produces a brisket of supreme excellence unlike anything else.  

“This has been over a year in the making,” says Joe Heitzeberg, Crowd Cow Co-Founder, “We are focused on meeting a rising demand from knowledgeable pitmasters across the country, eager to try new cuts and push against the traditional boundaries of how it’s always been done. We knew we had to find an exclusive incredible cut. That is the A5 Wagyu Packer Brisket.”

Those who are able to get their hands on one are in for an exclusive opportunity few barbecue enthusiasts have ever had. Crowd Cow partnered with Steven Raichlen, a Barbecue hall of famer and legend in his own right, to launch this brisket at his Barbecue University at the Broadmoor Resort in Colorado Springs this past month, “It's like eating the richest, smokiest imaginable brisket fat in suspension with meat holding it together. The class went crazy tasting it! ”

The Japanese Packer Brisket will be available to the public July 2nd. For more information, visit .https://www.crowdcow.com/japanese-wagyu-brisket 

About Crowd Cow
Crowd Cow, the online marketplace for craft meat, sources from the top 1% of farms and ranches across the country, delivering the best tasting meats to your doorstep. We work with more than 100 U.S. farmers and have explored the farthest reaches of the world to build the most extensive and selective network of independent farmers who provide exclusive, quality meat from a known source. We find everything from grass-fed beef raised on local farms, to more exotic options like Kagoshima A5 Wagyu from Japan. Based in Seattle, Crowd Cow’s investors range from Madrona Venture Group to Joe Montana and Ashton Kutcher and was named GeekWire Startup of the Year in 2018.
Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    only $1100? Score! They murdered the trim job though (probably because there is so mach fat)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Even when hammered I have done better but to @The Cen-Tex Smoker 's point no doubt the quantity of fat presented a bit of a challenge.  You wonder the price/lb after the trimming.
    Edit:  I thoroughly enjoy brisket and brisket cooks but the top end for me is SRF Gold grade and then only once or twice a year.  I haven't even ventured to Lobel's of New York and their Wagyu brisket; linked here:
    But personal choice how to spend your $$, so spend it like you've got it.  B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    Options
    only $1100? Score! They murdered the trim job though (probably because there is so mach fat)
    The halves start at 14lbs so I'm guessing they are leaving as much fat on a possible. I'd save all the trim and render it down for sure just to make sure to squeeze out every last drop. 

I'm curious what the cooked versus uncooked weight would be as well - how much of that are you going to lose during the cooking process itself versus a regular prime brisket? 
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Even SRF gold has more fat than I like.  Always choose blacks.  Thanks for the information though.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    I cant even fathom how rich that would taste. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    they are actually really bland. All that fat cuts the beefiness in half. That's hwy American wagyu cross-breeds with Angus or other beefy breeds to get the flavor up.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    they are actually really bland. All that fat cuts the beefiness in half. That's hwy American wagyu cross-breeds with Angus or other beefy breeds to get the flavor up.
    Makes sense.