Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looftlighter - Worth it?

Ok, so reading the topic of "Flameboss starting", and several of you eggers talked about looftlighter.  I never heard of it, so I went out and GTS's it.  By the way, as a disclaimer - I just use good ole 91 proof rubbing alcohol.

Some mixed reviews on Amazon, and looking at their warranty, they expressly exclude the aluminum heat plate, because it appears, if you don't use it right (their words), it will melt and void the warranty.

Yet, most of the complaints I read were about just that - that the heat shield meted exposing the heater.

So, for any of you that have had it for OVER 2 years, are you happy?

Comments

• I won one at work about 3 years ago. Not sure I would pay for it, but love having it. I used to use a paper towel with oil and had no problems, but it's a nice thing to have. If you dont mind the price, I say go for it
    LBGE
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I can't help you out with the looflighter but you can pick up a Harbor Freight weed torch for about $20. My first weed torch lasted 9 years. (Hose went bad) Torch itself still work like it did the first day. Just a thought if looking for a new way to light the BGE 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i can tell you the JJ George Grilltorch torches are really nice and easy to use.  you can get them on his website or amazon.  i am partial to them as he is a buddy of mine and i cook with him but its truly a great product and has made lighting the egg easier.  i take will be taking mine to the lake this next week for fires at night and fireworks.  Not sure where you are located but i know with the JJ George ones you can use map gas in the winter (propane compresses below 40 degrees) and its even faster.

jjgeorgestore.com

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I always heard that a looftlighter lasted about 2 days beyond their warranty. Plus you need a power cord. Give me a propane torch or oil and paper towels any day.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well I have had one and used it for several years. a year ago I found a really good sale combined with a coupon and bought another for when the first one dies, no need for it yet. Lighting the first spot in the charcoal takes the longest, each spot after that is quicker. If I lose electricity I always have paper towels and olive oil but I keep a 25 foot extension cord in the detached garage and the medium is 10 feet from the plug.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I'm in the propane/Mapp camp.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Another JJ George grill torch vote here. Who wants to drag around an extension cord? 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    I always heard that a looftlighter lasted about 2 days beyond their warranty. Plus you need a power cord. Give me a propane torch or oil and paper towels any day.
    I've had mine for four years now, so... no.

Fair enough on the power cord, but if your BGE is within a reasonable distance of an outlet, this too is a non-issue.

The key to using the Looftlighter properly is not to put the end right up against the coals.  Just hold it an inch away and it'll still light them up, and the end won't melt.  Then it's just a very hot hair-dryer, essentially, and there's not much that will prevent it from lasting forever.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Carolina Q
    For yours. Ain't you the lucky one.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    For yours. Ain't you the lucky one.
    Not really.  In the end it's a pretty simple device.  The key really is to use it properly. 
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I haven’t had mine over two years but I’m gonna comment anyway...

Ive lit my egg about anyway you can including a mapp torch. I prefer the looflighter. The main reason being you get the quickness of the torch with the lack of sparks. 

I did get my looflighter at a discount store for 1/2 price due to the shield having a minor dent in it that I straightened out when I got it home. Knowing what I know now I’d probably pay full price though.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have been using the Looftlighter for around 8 years.  Just like anything else, it is personal preference.  My first one stopped working, replaced the plug at the end of the cord and continues on with no problems.  Bought a 2nd one to use at my Farm.  It is part of my routine, and it works.
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I bought one about 4 years ago at a Williams Sonoma sale for half price and still use it. I also have a mapp torch that I use one in a while, egg is on the patio near an outlet so that is not an issue. What I like about the looftlighter is once the fire gets going the fan spreads the fire pretty quick.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited June 2019
    Lots of ways to skin this cat. That said, we have sold plenty and have yet to receive one negative comment. Egg sells a couple versions as well. One is butane if the cord is an issue. 
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    whta said:
    Ok, so reading the topic of "Flameboss starting", and several of you eggers talked about looftlighter.  I never heard of it, so I went out and GTS's it.  By the way, as a disclaimer - I just use good ole 91 proof rubbing alcohol.

Some mixed reviews on Amazon, and looking at their warranty, they expressly exclude the aluminum heat plate, because it appears, if you don't use it right (their words), it will melt and void the warranty.

Yet, most of the complaints I read were about just that - that the heat shield meted exposing the heater.

So, for any of you that have had it for OVER 2 years, are you happy?
    I’ve never actually used a looflighter, but I have used a torch. Personally, I think your rubbing alcohol and cotton ball method is solid. I like to light and walk away. Lately I’ve been using Rutland Safe Lite Fire Starter squares.  They are basically the same thing as the BGE squares at a fraction of the cost.  $19 for a pack of 144 on Amazon.  
  • Carolina Q
    Interesting comments. Over the years, I have read mostly negatives about this device. Maybe they have improved. Maybe people have learned to use them properly. I'll stick with my Mapp torch and propane.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Interesting comments. Over the years, I have read mostly negatives about this device. Maybe they have improved. Maybe people have learned to use them properly. I'll stick with my Mapp torch and propane.
    I think the Mapp torch is a great option, FWIW.  Honestly there are multiple ways to start the fire, and plenty of room for personal preference.  
  • To each their own, but I’m a staunch torcher for life.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    The wife and kids got me the BGe version of the looftlighter last year for Fathers Day. It’s the Eggnitor. It works well. Does it work better than any other method? Nah. Like others have said, to each his own
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    I have used a Looftlighter here at home for about 5 years. No problems, I like it.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    I use a looflighter...had it for about 4 years now. It is excellent at starting - and spreading, quickly, fires in the BGE and wood-fired oven. 

I had heard stories that they lasted 2 years when I bought it, but my experience has been quite the opposite 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Ive had my looflighter for about 6 years and its still going strong...watch it dies on me in the next cook. I use my egg 2-3 times a week

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• whta
    whta Posts: 62
    THANKS EVERYONE!

The only negative I have with the Rubbing Alcohol, is that sometimes there is a good fire in the center (All the way down to the bottom!), or the entire stack of lump, just at the bottom - so the fires runs from the bottom up...

Not sure I want to drop $80 to get basically what I have now for about $2.50 at Wallyworld.

I don't have a gas grill or a propane tank, and my egg is about 6 feet from an outlet, so the electric version seems reasonable.

I guess I'll just look for it on sale....

THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL THE INPUT!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2019
    Another her option is to get a heat gun (which is basically what the Looflighter is). Here is a vid with a comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EvHydhHXE

The heat gun is faster. 

Granted the advantage of the Looflighter is the longer wand. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Another her option is to get a heat gun (which is basically what the Looflighter is). Here is a vid with a comparison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EvHydhHXE

The heat gun is faster. 

Granted the advantage of the Looflighter is the longer wand. 

Always go with the longer wand.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have used a cheap harbor freight heat gun before. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    One think interesting, people drop a wad for an XL, build an outdoor kitchen, and carp over how expensive a Looftlighter is.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Got one originally when the guy at Ace talked me into it. On my 2nd one in that time and love it. 
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• smittydog27
    smittydog27 Posts: 100
    I like mine.....only takes about two minutes to light three areas