Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Brisket - Sous Vide Question

I had a question for anyone with experience reheating a whole/unsliced brisket via sous vide.
I am supposed to make a brisket for a 4th of July party my in-laws are having. Due to scheduling, (golf in the AM, followed by the party/food a couple hours later) I have no choice but to cook, cool and reheat --- I do not want the stress of trying to time the finish, we all know that wouldn't end well.
I have read a few different times and temps and was just looking to zero in on one so I can plan accordingly. I have seen 140deg and 165deg for the temps and anywhere from 1 to 4 hours for the time. Brisket will probably be 14-16 lbs. Any input would be greatly appreciated. 
XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    140 is plenty warm enough for serving. It will take a while for it to heat through.  Flat will take a couple of hours.  Point section longer.  No reason to short change the time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    i second the 140
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I'd go a little higher, like 147.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    As far as time I have read 45 minutes per inch of thickness. I would probably round that up to an hour to make the math easy.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2019
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Ok. So 149.3 for 2 hours and 51 minutes. Sounds like a plan!

St. Louis, MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd go 149.4 for 2 hours and 49 minutes. LOL. Kidding. I have no idea, just being a smart a$$

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    What about the other way around? SV the brisket, then throw it on the egg for 2-3 hrs to get some smoke?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • byrne092
    edited June 2019
    Golf is 40 min from my house where the eggs are, then I would have to drive back, smoke, then another 30 min back to the in-laws. Logistically smoking the day before then giving my wife the brisket and Sous vide to start the reheat at her parents seems easiest. Sounds like there’s no real science behind the reheat; just set it between 140-160 for a couple hours and it should be good? 

St. Louis, MO
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    As for the science behind the reheat, review:
    https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Beef
    Specifically Table 2.2.  Since you have already cooked the meat, all you need to do is bring it up to a good serving temp.  140º is a good target for this, but other temps are fine - personal preference.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• byrne092
    edited June 2019
    @jtcBoynton I agree, the meat does not need to get above 140 since it has already been cooked.
    What I found interesting when i looked at Table 2.2 is the their recommended times.

So if i set my water temp at 141, would it theoretically take 10 hours to get the meat up to 140? Chart says 5 1/2 hours for 65mm, I would say on the low end, average brisket thickness would be double that, so double the time (which actually doesn't align with the thickness/time chart: ex. 30mm slab with take 1.5hrs, while a 60mm slab will take 4.75hrs).

With that said, it sounds like using a higher temperature (150?) would be ideal if you wanted to reheat a large piece of meat, like a brisket, in a reasonable amount of time. I see that he says a 2 degF differential cuts off 13%. I wonder how the math involved would scale on my proposed 150 water temp, making it an 8 degF differential.

St. Louis, MO