Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF Waygu Black - To Paper on not?

dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
Tonight I will setting a 12.7 LB expect 11 LB when trimmed on the XL at 225 grate temp.
I am debating if I should try wrapping in in butcher paper once the bark is set.
With this grade of brisket will it make much of a difference?

Will it hasten the cook or retain moisture better?

My plan for holding will be to wrap in paper and foil for FTC after I have let it set to prevent carry over.

Comments

• dstearn
    dmourati said:
    Thanks, I have seen that video a hundred times. But that was on an offset. I was
    looking to see if anyone has tried it on the Egg and what the results were.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Sorry, I'm a newb on brisket and just figured this was the best you'd get in terms of an answer on paper or not. Anxiously awaiting the rest of the forum folks who know more.
    Mountain View, CA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited June 2019
    The answers to your question is yes and yes. You want to try and maintain a balance of moisture and keeping the bark from getting soft. That’s where paper is better than foil. I would probably wrap it. I’d wrap in paper and do a PTC. No need to kill your bark at the finish line. It’s not needed for an SRF but even SRF flats can can dry out if you don’t watch out. 
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    I did one (SRF black) for super bowl, didn't wrap. Turned out fantastic. Finished faster than I expected. FTC for about 5 hours, no problems.
  • dstearn
    I did one (SRF black) for super bowl, didn't wrap. Turned out fantastic. Finished faster than I expected. FTC for about 5 hours, no problems.
    Thanks, by FTC did you use foil or paper?
    What was your cook temp and time?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @dstearn given this isn't your first SRF just go with your prior experiences coupled with the above regarding bark color.  Can't comment on moisture retention but I don't wrap and have always found SRF's to be quite moist when ready to slice.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • onpoint456
    onpoint456 Posts: 204
    dstearn said:
    I used foil. Cook temp ranged from 235-250. If I recall, it finished in about 9 hours. It was roughly the same size as yours.
  • dstearn
    dstearn said:
    I used foil. Cook temp ranged from 235-250. If I recall, it finished in about 9 hours. It was roughly the same size as yours.
    I will be cooking at 225 so based on my prior cooks should be around 12 hrs