Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar plank salmon

Options
Woadie
Woadie Posts: 154
Going to try salmon again with the dizzy pig raging river.  

Comments

• Woadie
    Options
    What internal temp should I pull them at?
  • 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    I always just judge by looks...but then, we are ok w/'rare' salmon. I'm doing one tonight also, using Spice Islands Lemon Pepper. I run the egg around 400 and a 1+ lb piece cooks in about 30 - 40 min.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Woadie
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I don't use my thermometer with salmon.  Just as soon as I see that white "foam" appear on the top surface, I pull them.  Some may prefer to have their fish cooked just a bit more, you'll have to experiment.  
    I also can't tell if those are skin-on (bottom) or not; that may change things a bit too.  I usually get skin-on, cook until I just start to see the foam, and the fish is a bit darker in the center but flaky on the outside, that's the way I like it.  YMMV.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options
    Yep, that 'foam' is a good indicator.  I, too, usually get skin-on.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• Woadie
    Options
    It was skin on.  Pulled at 145. 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Brisket_Fanatic Posts: 2,884
    Options
    Looks good, depends on the source of the salmon. Most stuff 140 area is good however with some wild red salmon my FIL caught in Alaska and brought back for me I will around 125 otherwise it gets very dry.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• jetman96
    jetman96 Posts: 127
    Options
    I do cedar plank salmon all the time. Final temperature should be 120* for wild caught (less fat), and 125* for farmed (more fat).
    Cincinnati, OH
    Large BGE
  • Woadie
    Options
    Good deal.  It was definitely farm raised so I didn’t want to cut it too close.  Thanks for the info.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,944
    Options
    Love that rub on salmon - good stuff!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • vthokie98
    vthokie98 Posts: 25
    Options
    Man that looks good.  I gotta get back to cooking salmon again.  I noticed a huge improvement in my Salmon after I started mixing half and half olive oil and fresh squeezed lemon juice.  Spread that mix over the fish with a brush about 20 min prior to putting it on the egg.  dry rub it anytime after brushing on the mix. 
  • Woadie
    Options
    That sounds like a great idea.   I’ll definitely try that next time. 
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Depending on the time of year, we can get some really good salmon out here. I am not much of a fish lover (shell fish are my fav) but good fresh salmon is not too shabby. I won't eat leftovers, though. Most things I cook I look forward to the next day or two, but salmon just seems to go down hill too fast. Ynette will eat it, though, so I usually do a dual cook.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.