Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dialing in temp for smoking

BDD
BDD Posts: 14
XL Green Egg with firebox 3/4 full for Pork Butt. Having trouble keeping temp from climbing above target of 225. Have had to shut both vents completely to prevent temp spike. Don't want to keep vents completely shut.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited June 2019
    I wait until the temperature reaches 225 then add the platesetter (I'm assuming you use the platesetter for pork butt).

Then I shut down the vent and daisywheel (or Smokeware Cap) to 1/8th of an inch opening. Wait for the temperature to go back to 225 and plop on that hunk-o-meat.

The only time I get a temperature spike is when I use too many wood chunks. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    How many starter blocks are you using? IE, how big of an area of charcoal are you lighting to begin with?

For a regular cook - tritip, steaks, etc Ill use 2 blocks (1 1/2'' squares), 1 each in 2 different locations. For a low and slow Ill split 1 block and place 1/2 in 2 locations.

I have an XL too. Let the blocks get good and lit, arrange my chuncks and put in the PS. Close it up and watch for the temp to get to 225* then adjust the top and bottom to stabilize temps
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • ScottyG
    ScottyG Posts: 16
    I was first introduced to this forum a year ago trying to find help on the same topic, so I feel your pain.

Bottom line, kiss 225 goodbye. Your XL is a thoroughbred and that horse wants to run. But as the good folks on here have mentioned, you really don’t need to go that low anyway.

Even 250 can be tough, but I snagged a Smobot and haven’t had much a problem holding that temp since.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Acn said:
    IMHO, the egg is atrocious at keeping a temp that low without outside assistance.  I would say if your XL wants to settle around 250 then let it.  The difference in the final product will be negligible and you’ll save yourself the stress of trying to chase a temp all day.
    the followup to this is "my egg went out overnight, is the meat still safe?"
    it's such a good insulator, it doesn't take much to get it to 225.  so it's a tiny fire, and to keep a tiny fire you need little air.  chasing temps at the low end is a PITA.  275, 285 etc much easier.  
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    How much above 225 is it going?  Temperatures can go up and down throughout a cook. It doesn’t mean anything is wrong. It is a live fire. If I see mine trending too high up or down, I make little adjustments.  Grate temps seem to vary more than the dome temps. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • BDD
    Thanks for all of the advice; highest it spikes is 300. I'll try splitting one starter block in two. I was using 2 full blocks. Agree that the XL is just meant to heat up quick.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Anywhere from 225 to 300 is fine don’t sweat it just enjoy yourself :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    I doubt that you could even tell if I offered you something cooked at 225 for X hours vs 250 or 275 for X hours. That small of a temperature variation in most cases will yield almost the exact same results on the palate. As Hans said, don't worry so much about an exact temp. Cook it to feel.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• BDD
    OK thanks for the tip !
  • For me, one key to keeping low temps has been to use a lot of small bits of lump. They help fill the air pockets in the lump, thereby reducing the oxygen flow. Makes quite a difference, in my experience. 
  • BDD
    Anyone know what the bands should be torqued to? I had to adjust my upper band.