Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Local butcher

Options
How do I know my local butcher isn’t buy meat from the same place as Walmart?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    You ask "Where is your meat sourced?"

Most local butchers take pride in sourcing locally
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Our butcher shop slaughters its own on site....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Certainly, as @ColtsFan says, you should be able to get a straight answer from any reputable butcher. But the source might not be local. There's a processor in the next county that has a shop open to the public 2 days a week. AFAIK, they are Mennonite, and draw from Amish farms also. But they have said in the past that their steaks come from Iowa, 'cause those are better. Might be the same producer that some Wal-marts use, but given the quality, probably a higher grade.

Most of the places I buy from, if the meat is pre-processed and frozen, the packaging will state both the farm (sometimes their own) and the processing facility.

One place, now closed, got their beef from the husband's mom's herd, until mom got too old to take care of the farm.
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Look at it (the meat).  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    You ask "Where is your meat sourced?"

Most local butchers take pride in sourcing locally
    This.  Always the first question I ask a butcher (other than the one connected to an abattoir, I just assumed there).

I would suggest trying to have that chat sometime other than a busy Saturday morning, you’ll get a better response if you ask when there aren’t 4 people waiting for service after you.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    “Of course, I can get a hell of a good look at a T-Bone steak by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.”
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    After thinking about the question yesterday, I wondered "where" does Wal-Mart" get its meat. Some of the stuff I read was that Wal-Mart does tend to buy from regional producers to keep the transportation cost down, the main saving is from having the meat pre-cut at the production facility, and packed in trays w. a gas mix to maintain freshness longer. The saving is such, it shifted markets away from having anyone working in the meat department, other than those who stock the trays.

One article mentioned that IGN, now a part of Tysons, is a major supplier.

Another article mentioned that if there was no one in the store available to grind burger as you want it, its likely everything is pre-packed, and only broken down, if not still in plastic trays from the plant.

There are a couple of low cost places near me that do their own cutting and grinding, but they also are starting w. select, not choice.

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I haven't bought beef from Walmart in a  long time, but they used to inject it with a broth. It is marked that way on the label, so read it carefully if that matters to you.  You are paying for that broth which may make a difference to your purchasing it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    pretty easy to tell here, the butcher shops all marinate their own kabobs, grind and stuff their own sausages, make their own corned beef, meatloaf for deli sandwiches, bake meat pies. theres alot of pride in a small butcher shop.
    some even buy from the guy in the parking lot selling meat out of the van =)

Image result for lambs fishlessman

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    abbatoir, n, A slaughterhouse.
    Mid-19th Century, from the French abattre, "to fell"

I learned something today.   :)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.