Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating pulled pork

Options
so I have two questions. I am cooking a 9 pound butt overnight and pulling it in the morning around 6:00 am. I plan to wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler. How long can it stay there. I have heard 4-5 hours. I have also hear 8-9. 

Second question. Once I pull it from the cooler, can I put it in an oven to keep it warm?  If so, what’s the maximum amount of time it can stay in the oven?  I was thinking about 180-190 degrees. When I pull the butt from the cooler, I either put it in the fridge and reheat later or put it right into an oven to Lee it warm. I will be golfing and won’t be eating it right away. 

Thoughts or recommendations. 

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    edited June 2019
    Options
    When it cools down you can pull the pork. I have found that placing in gallon size zip lock bags for reheating later works great. I always reheat the pork in the bag in a hot water bath. I usually heat it in 145 Deg water.
    I have a Sous Vide setup that works well for reheating. Done this way I'm hard pressed to tell a difference from fresh off the egg pork.

Pork can stay in the oven for reheating, but I will tend to dry out over time.

Also, welcome to the forums.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    cmpinion said:
    so I have two questions. I am cooking a 9 pound butt overnight and pulling it in the morning around 6:00 am. I plan to wrap it in foil and a towel and put it in a cooler. How long can it stay there. I have heard 4-5 hours. I have also hear 8-9. 

Second question. Once I pull it from the cooler, can I put it in an oven to keep it warm?  If so, what’s the maximum amount of time it can stay in the oven?  I was thinking about 180-190 degrees. When I pull the butt from the cooler, I either put it in the fridge and reheat later or put it right into an oven to Lee it warm. I will be golfing and won’t be eating it right away. 

Thoughts or recommendations. 

I've never gone over 5 hours in the cooler and it was so hot I couldn't touch it when I did get to pulling it so I suspect it could have gone longer.

I don't like the oven (hold 175) as much as it can dry out of the fruits of your labour vs. using a crock pot with some of the sauce we make or adding apple cider vinegar

I'd FTC for 5 hours and then throw it into the crockpot on keep warm with some moisture until serving 
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    I have used apple juice as a liquid to keep it moist.  Never had any complaints.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Once I pull it from the cooler, can I put it in an oven to keep it warm? 
    Yes.  If you are going to an oven, don't bother with the cooler.  The cooler is just to keep the butt warm while transporting or waiting for meal time.  Keep the oven temp at 150-160º and you can keep the butt warm for hours.  Just make sure it is wrapped well - the oven will dry it out otherwise.

The length of time for FTC depends on several factors. Thickness of the cooler insulation, pre warming the cooler, temperature of the butt when put into the cooler, and outside temp all make a difference in the time.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• cmpinion
    cmpinion Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. Totally helped out. Really appreciate it. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    I have used apple juice as a liquid to keep it moist.  Never had any complaints.
    Hey stranger! You've been MIA for several years now! How has retirement been treating you? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    cmpinion said:
    Thanks to everyone for your comments. Totally helped out. Really appreciate it. 
    What did you do?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Am I able to reheat pepper stout beef using the sous vide as well? I wont have time to cook it the day of but can the day before. I don't see much difference, curious though. Thanks
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Am I able to reheat pepper stout beef using the sous vide as well? I wont have time to cook it the day of but can the day before. I don't see much difference, curious though. Thanks
    Yes. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    For these days I have kept my opinion to myself on this thread. Reason being that to the unknowing it sounds strange and not possible, but it works! I reheat my pp using Coke Classic! Not Pepsi and not Diet Coke! I have used this trick for years and with up to re-warming as much as pulled pork from 9 butts! If you tell people this trick they will wrinkle their noses and/or think the meat will taste sweet, BUT it WON'T! As a rule of thumb I use 1 can per pulled pork from 1 butt. Just don't let your guests see you stirring the Coke into the meat!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.