Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best UK lump charcoal

We’ve moved to our new gaff with a large balcony, no one above and no restrictions on use. We have several amazing butchers that do both UK and America cuts of meat as well as long aged rare breeds. Only thing missing is the egg, several dealers offer 10% off but haven’t ordered yet. 

So one question not yet answer is what is the best lump in the uk to buy? We live in the city centre with no car so mainly limited to delivery options. BGE own brand is v expensive but with so many brand s claiming to be organic restaurant grade etc etc it’s hard to see the best options (especially with many 5 star reviews saying it’s almost as good as their normal briquettes)
London, UK

New LBGE Owner

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Sandtree There's a few of us on here from the UK. I've tried most of the 'restauant grade' charcoal and the clear favourite for me is Alderline. https://www.biltong.co.uk/products/3356/alder-wood-pure-charcoal-50lt

It burns really clean, clear smoke right from the start and completely neutral taste. There is also very little ash, so more cooks between clean outs.

@CPFC1905 @TheToast and @Stormbringer are regular contributors on here as well and might chip in with their suggestions.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    DM'd you.   What's your storage situation, though?
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    ...and stock up before the apocalypse!!!  (I just watched the movie "How it Ends")

Maybe it should be called the "Brexitocalypse"...

800 million pounds has left the UK by the prepper banks, lump might be next!!!!
    Exciting times.

We've been living it.

Dilution of global relevance because our peckers have inverted from statistically irrelevant fear.  Tally Ho!
    ...and stock up before the apocalypse!!!  (I just watched the movie "How it Ends")

There's a lot more money than that left already, off in the numerous tax havens that are British protectorates. Laws to mandate disclosure of ownership of companies in these places have just been pushed back to 2023. We have strict money laundering rules so Joe Public gets grilled when depositing or withdrawing cash, but the rich get no questions asked tax havens.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324

An article in The Guardian the other day was about the "prepper" folks that are stocking up on various items in case of a complete Brexit related meltdown. Don't recall that anyone in the article was hoarding lump tho.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Eoin said:

There's a lot more money than that left already, off in the numerous tax havens that are British protectorates. Laws to mandate disclosure of ownership of companies in these places have just been pushed back to 2023. We have strict money laundering rules so Joe Public gets grilled when depositing or withdrawing cash, but the rich get no questions asked tax havens.
    The Golden Rule - those that have all the gold make the rules.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    HeavyG said:

An article in The Guardian the other day was about the "prepper" folks that are stocking up on various items in case of a complete Brexit related meltdown. Don't recall that anyone in the article was hoarding lump tho.
    I have 2 Eggs and lump, therefore I can cook my way through the zombie apocalypse and / or Brexit.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,007
    I use Green Olive Firewood charcoal, this stuff:

If you join their mailing list, they regularly email out offers. The best one was Jan 2017, they had 50% off. I bought (literally) a shed full.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• CPFC1905 said:
    What's your storage situation, though?
    At the moment I’m limited to a bag or two; the debate on if a mini greenhouse or storage box should go on the balcony is ongoing.

thanks to everyone for the suggestions
    London, UK

New LBGE Owner
  • markytcd
    markytcd Posts: 3
    How is everyone finding the Green Olive Co. lumpwood these days? Looking at getting 150kg but have never used it before.
    Thx in advance
  • Eoin
    I went off it because it often took a while for the smoke to clear and I occasionally found some rubbish in it - like a charred piece of strapping. I only use Alderline now, because it is completely neutral and clears fast (as soon as the starter is gone).  Never any bad smoke / bad taste.
  • Lump must be pretty pricey in the U.K.   I heard old man Scrooge would limit Cratchit to 1/2 a bag to last the whole winter!

Flint, Michigan
  • markytcd
    Eoin said:
    I went off it because it often took a while for the smoke to clear and I occasionally found some rubbish in it - like a charred piece of strapping. I only use Alderline now, because it is completely neutral and clears fast (as soon as the starter is gone).  Never any bad smoke / bad taste.
    @Eoin - where abouts do you get your Alderline from? How many rough KG are the 50L bags?
    Cheers
  • Eoin
    These guys, but now out of stock. https://www.biltong.co.uk/products/3356/alder-wood-pure-charcoal-50lt

If you order, they often send a 10% off voucher. Order just over free shipping then order again with 10% off. They won't discount for bulk if you ask, then send 10% off vouchers!

Not sure on weight, I was a bit hung up on comparing to other bag weights at the start, but don't think about it now. It's completely reliable so never any bad taste and the smoke clears immediately, so you don't waste lump waiting for it to clear. Hardly any ash either, so long intervals between clean outs.

Going to have to call and see when it's back as I just opened my second last bag.
  • Eoin
    Lump must be pretty pricey in the U.K.   I heard old man Scrooge would limit Cratchit to 1/2 a bag to last the whole winter!

We're all like Scrooge over here, we don't have the big money that you Americans have  ;)
  • markytcd
    Has anybody tried this brand and if so do you recommend? Thx.

http://everburningcharcoal.co.uk/