Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

THE Chicken for dinner tonight

Made Naked Whiz’s THE chicken tonight.  Haven’t made it in a few years and remembered really liking it.   I can’t believe I don’t make this all the time.  It may be my single favorite Egg recipe in the 7 years I’ve been around. Man, what a delicious piece of chicken!   If you haven’t tried this, you have to.   It’s delicious.   
Athens, GA
XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590

Comments

• Looks great. Will try. Thanks for the reminder.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    The poor picture doesn't do the food justice.  I only took a picture because I went back for more, and just ate chicken with no sides.  This is a seriously delicious recipe.
    Athens, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I keep meaning to try this, but somehow have not. Looks and sounds great though!

BTW, it's not TNW's recipe, it's Randy Price's (@AZRP). Here's his original (I think) post from 2008.

In the TNW article, Randy tells the story of how he developed the recipe. His original inspiration came from a middle-of-nowhere chicken shack in NC called Keaton's Barbecue. I did a little digging and found this article about Keaton's. The original "THE Chicken" is fried of course, not egged. No surprise there... whoever heard of Southern Egged Chicken? =) 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    havent cooked the chicken in a long time, its a good one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    How does the heat compare to regular franks+butter? (eg average wings)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,668
    Legume said:
    been along time since making it, i would say similar heatwise but theres the vinegar tang and steeping it changes the whole dish. never done the veggies, the meat would be better served with rice to sop it all up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    I, too, have thought about making it for YEARS, but never have.  I'll have to give it a try.

And I just looked up Keaton's, and it's only 40 minutes away from me!  I'll have to go there and have some of the original that inspired AZRP to make his "The Chicken."
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Theophan said:
    I'll have to go there and have some of the original that inspired AZRP to make his "The Chicken."
    And please report back as to the similarities (or differences).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mayberry
    Legume said:
    The great thing about this recipe is that you can adjust the heat by dialing back the red pepper and cayenne.  I gave find it with varying degrees of heat, based on company, and it’s still great and doesn’t lose its flavor profile.   I’m doing a variation again tonight with whole wings and trying half with Franks plus butter and the other half with an Orange ginger sauce.  Hopefully they fall off the bone like THE chicken and absorb the sauce flavors the same way.  Doing a skirt steak as back up, just in case it’s a failure.   
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Speaking of, what do you use as a ratio with Frank’s and butter for wing sauce?
    Athens, GA
  • Inspired by today's posts, I made this tonight.... TOTALLY AWESOME.  Instant entry on our go-to list of meals.  So tender, so much flavor (I couldn't believe the 1 TBSP of cayenne didn't blow us up, but the flavor was great)

Someone asked here, or in another thread that hit the top of the forum today, about keeping the veggies on during the period of time when the chicken is resting in the foil...  I left it on at temp and it did get way overdone so definitely watch how that's doing and consider pulling it off at the same time you pull the chicken (I assume you could just cover it and let it rest.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I've been playing with this recipe a LOT the last few months, like everyone else I love it!  I have a half-batch of the sauce in the freezer right now, will probably do the chicken breast sliders (cut in half crossways, pounded flat, make sammiches) again this weekend.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    When I make Frank's wing sauce I usually do a 16 ounce bottle of Frank's and one stick of butter. Then I add some more crushed red pepper, garlic, etc. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Mayberry
    I did the Frank's and butter on whole wings in the same fashion tonight.  There were only 7 whole wings, so 14 buffalo wings, if split.  So, I used 1/2 cup of Frank's and 2/3 of a stick of butter.  Added a few tablespoons of oil to thin it out a little and some red pepper flakes for added flavor.  My 9 yr old said they were the best wings he's ever had.  So, they were a hit.  We finished those off before even looking at the skirt steak....and my kids love skirt steak.  So, for anyone wondering, wings are great this way, too.  Same flour coating, same indirect setup at 300-350.  I just cut the cook time short to around 40 minutes, because they are smaller than leg quarters.  I've found with THE chicken to target around 195-200 internal temp before pulling and putting in the foil packs with sauce.  Less than that, the texture is not the same, and the entire dish is different.  
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    Speaking of greatest things I've cooked on the Egg, I did something new a few weeks ago.  On our way to Orange Beach when we took the boat, we stopped at a gas station/truck stop/mega-store called Buc-ees.  They are out of Texas, so I'm sure some of you are familiar with them.  Awesome store and they sell everything, including some really good smoked meats.  I picked up a pack of smoked pork tenderloin and it was unbelievable.  I'm not a fan of pork tenderloin usually...unless it's pan fried and put on a biscuit.  I just don't like the soft texture of the meat when grilled.  But Buc-ees smoked tenderloin is really good.  I think it's the brining, or marinade, that makes the flavor and texture so good. It's almost like soft beef jerky.  I wanted to try it without too much effort, so I bought a few of the pre-marinated Hormel pork tenderloins at Publix on a whim.  I threw them on the Egg for a few hours at 250 indirect with some apple chunks and they were every bit as good as what we bought at Buc-ees.  Going to be a staple around here going forward.  
    Athens, GA
  • Mayberry
    That's it!  I wish there were more of them. The one in Foley, Alabama is the only one I've ever seen.  But it's an AWESOME store.  
    Athens, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    They are pretty amazing.  I think the one just south of Austin has 60 fuel pumps.