Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PK 360 Grill

GregW
GregW Posts: 2,676
edited June 2019 in Off Topic
I have been in the market to add a new grill to my deck. I currently have the Large BGE , A pellet smoker and a PK Original grill. I also have a Lodge Hibachi. (The Hibachi is free to a good home if anyone local wants it)
I really have had my eye on the PK 360. I went as far as calling my local dealer to see if they had them in stock. For some reason, maybe just an over abundance of caution, I did a web search on the PK 360. Much to my disappointment, I found the PK 360 is now made over seas. My PK Original was made in the great state of Arkansas.

I would have gladly paid the price for the PK 360 if it was still made in Arkansas. To me part of the allure of the PK was it was a piece of classic Americana, it hard to feel any nostalgia for the PK 360 now.

Does anyone who has a PK 360 know the country of manufacture? 

Comments

• I like the look of this grill 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Answer:
    I got mine a year and a half ago. The package was labled made in China. The packaging was incredible and the unit was very well made. The quality control is top notch. The cast aluminum body is high quality. I own a foundry, so I've seen a few castings in my life, and these are very good castings.
    W. Zanchuk
    · April 26, 2019

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GregW
    It would be nice to be able to purchase one at a price that reflects that it is made in China. I would imagine that they have about $2 in labor to manufacture it. The profit margins must be sweet for PK.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    speaking of PK grills does anyone know if they can be restored relatively easy? My wife’s grandmother has one that’s probably 30 years old just sitting on her porch and it might make a cool project

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GregW
    I've seen a lot of mention on the web of old Pk grills that are still in use. I bet it would be a worthwhile project to restore one, particularity one that has a family history. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2019
    GregW said:
    I've seen a lot of mention on the web of old Pk grills that are still in use. I bet it would be a worthwhile project to restore one, particularity one that has a family history. 
    I take it back. I think that grill might be 50 years old. I’m gonna ask my wife’s grandmother if I can have it to keep it in the family. It just sits there now. If I can I’ll try and document my restore on the forum somehow

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GregW said:
    I take it back. I think that grill might be 50 years old. I’m gonna ask my wife’s grandmother if I can have it to keep it in the family. It just sits there now. If I can I’ll try and document my restore on the forum somehow
    Awesome.  Take a look around and see what else she has while you’re at it.
  • GregW
    GregW said:
    50 yrs ago would have been the heyday for PK. They were very popular back them for what I've read.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    GregW said:
    Get that thing cooking again - please post pics. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GregW
    edited June 2019
    The PK original which should be close to the design of the one you found @TEXASBGE2018 it is an excellent cooker. Works well direct and indirect cooking. It can put an awesome sear on a steak. followed by indirect for the finish.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    If you need a little inspiration, you might want to check this guy's restoration out @TEXASBGE2018 .  I'm guessing your project will likely not be as challenging: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmGRGCJ10Mw

P.S.
    I like the fast motion effects in the video.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2019
    Other than the shape and the AL body, what would be the cooking advantage of the PK over a Weber kettle? The gold kettle has a better ash removal system and that is often a criticism of the PK. The PK is a very cool retro looking unit, 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Other than the shape and the AL body, what would be the cooking advantage of the PK over a Weber kettle? The gold kettle has a better ash removal system and that is often a criticism of the PK. The PK is a very cool retro looking unit, 
    I can't think of anything the PK360 would do better than a 26" kettle and a Slow 'n Sear combo could do for half the price.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    GregW said:
    I have been in the market to add a new grill to my deck. I currently have the Large BGE , A pellet smoker and a PK Original grill. I also have a Lodge Hibachi. (The Hibachi is free to a good home if anyone local wants it)
    I really have had my eye on the PK 360. I went as far as calling my local dealer to see if they had them in stock. For some reason, maybe just an over abundance of caution, I did a web search on the PK 360. Much to my disappointment, I found the PK 360 is now made over seas. My PK Original was made in the great state of Arkansas.

I would have gladly paid the price for the PK 360 if it was still made in Arkansas. To me part of the allure of the PK was it was a piece of classic Americana, it hard to feel any nostalgia for the PK 360 now.

where is local?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• GregW
    billt01 said:
    GregW said:

where is local?
    Near Birmingham Alabama.