Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Timing and rest time

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
I have a 12.7 LB untrimmed SRF Black Brisket that  I will be serving this Saturday around 6 PM.
Once I pull it and let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes, how long should it rest FTC to be at 145 internal for slicing?
If it is still to hot to slice when I take it out of the cooler is it best to just leave it on the counter until it cools down?
My cook plan is after trimming it will be closer to 11LBs. Grate temp at 225 overnight should cook about 12 hours. I may wrap in butcher paper when it hits 165 internal (is this needed on the Egg?)So lets say I start the cook at 1 AM. If I pull it at 1 PM the next day, let it sit for 30 minutes to prevent carry over, then FTC that would give me around 4 hrs to hold it. Would that be enough time to get it to 145 internal?

Comments

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Options
    Plan should be fine. I have done just what you suggest - let rest for 1/2 hour to prevent carryover, wrap brisket in foil, then towels and hold in cooler until time to eat.  I have never checked the temp when I pull from the cooler to slice but it can safely hold quite awhile in the cooler.  I have held in a cooler for up to 6 hours.  Just heat some water to warm up the cooler before putting the brisket in, wrap the brisket in a few towels and then close it up.  I have also found that my briskets are best when they have held for a few hours in the cooler rather than slicing shortly after pulling them from the Egg.  Just my 2 cents.
    XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Unless you have a setup that can maintain 145*F, there is no way to truly determine how long a hold to achieve that temperature.  Think of this as an analog exercise vs digital.  A few hours into your hold check the internal temp and guesstimate on the drop over the first few hours where you may be downstream.  FWIW-
    Edit:  I would guess this is not your first brisket cook unless you are really coming out with the big guns i.e. SRF.  The consumers will really enjoy the quality of beef you are serving and the camaraderie of the evening.  You've got this.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Thanks, makes sense. 
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Others are far more expert but by happenstance I did check a brisket for temp after 4 hours FTC recently. I had wrapped it pretty soon after pulling off the fire. Four hours later it was at 157 and too hot to handle without gloves. 

I didn't wait for it to get to 145 to slice.  Not sure if that is necessary? 
    New Orleans LA
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Unless you have a setup that can maintain 145*F, there is no way to truly determine how long a hold to achieve that temperature.  Think of this as an analog exercise vs digital.  A few hours into your hold check the internal temp and guesstimate on the drop over the first few hours where you may be downstream.  FWIW-
    Edit:  I would guess this is not your first brisket cook unless you are really coming out with the big guns i.e. SRF.  The consumers will really enjoy the quality of beef you are serving and the camaraderie of the evening.  You've got this.
    Thanks, this is my 3rd SRF. I usually cook a couple briskets per year. My biggest challenges have been carryover which I resolved last cook but did not wait long enough for the brisket to rest which made serving a challenge especially the point which was steaming. If I pull it on time and stop the carryover then let it rest until 145 I hope to finally nail it. Any recommendations on a Cambro that can hold 145 would be appreciated.