Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wagyu Brisket find

Options
Austin Peeps-
Found this gem yesterday at the 4 points HEB

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Lakeway 3 minutes ago...

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    Nice find. Harry Soo has an informative video on Wagyu versus choice brisket.

I would love to find a Wagyu at a price I could afford.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GregW said:

Wow- that trim job! So different than the way I learned. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Better to be lucky than good any day.  Enjoy the cook and follow-on eats.
    I did see a few of those last week when playing Texas tourist out in the Fredricksburg area. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GregW said:

They have come way down in price since he shot that video. You can get an SRF for $130-$140 + $10 shipping now. The one I saw today was $106 for 18lbs. That was a beast. 
  • builderdawg
    builderdawg Posts: 105
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Austin Peeps-
    Found this gem yesterday at the 4 points HEB

Looks good. I miss HEB.  Awesome grocery store. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HEB has stepped up their game. 

I want to grind one up for burgers. Picked up some wagyu ground beef from H-E-B a couple of weeks ago, but didn’t like the texture. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    There’s not an HEB close to Tyler, but I have a run out of Port of Houston on Wednesday so I’ll bring a cooler and see what I can find.
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    There’s not an HEB close to Tyler, but I have a run out of Port of Houston on Wednesday so I’ll bring a cooler and see what I can find.
    The closest to you might be in Corsicana, but that one is pretty small.  The Lakeway one is huge, even has a bar with terrible live music...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    The closest to you might be in Corsicana, but that one is pretty small.  The Lakeway one is huge, even has a bar with terrible live music...
    And they are both glorious. 
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    And they are both glorious. 
    I’ll see where I wind up after this run...last one we dropped in Mathis so I had a long deadhead home.  I tend to try and avoid Austin traffic on my way home, but I might make an exception in this case.  I’ll probably get on the phone Tuesday and see what I can locate.  
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Im officially in the game! Grabbed 2 for Father’s Day weekend brisket class tomorrow At noon. The peeps will be eating right tomorrow!  They look and feel fantastic. Can’t wait to try them out tomorrow. I’ll report back on how they turn out.

I feel a little spoiled being able to just drop in and grab wagyu brisket @$5.99lb 5 min from my front door  I’ll take it though  
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Beautiful - I ended up with chicken wings, jalepeno poppers and sausages. Those 2 were gorgeous. Good luck tomorrow!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Beautiful - I ended up with chicken wings, jalepeno poppers and sausages. Those 2 were gorgeous. Good luck tomorrow!
    Always fun to run into a fellow forum member in the quest for fancy meats. 

Have fun with the FIL and fam this weekend. Show them how it’s done on the away-game bge this weekend! 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Looking good, looking forward to finished pics.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    175 and climbing. Class in 2.5 hours (but we get there an hour early). Time to wrap and bump the temps to get it home in the next hour and a half. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Feels like a snake river farms. Meat is already very soft at 175. Hope it turns out as well as it looks and feels so far. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Giddy up! Your class peeps have a real treat coming their way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    I've got one arriving next week from SRF since grocery store wagyu briskets aren't to be found around here.  May have to skip any wet aging plans and fire away. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Giddy up! Your class peeps have a real treat coming their way. 

Calm before the storm. T-minus 45 min and counting. Brisket still not ready (wrapped and in the oven). Never a dull moment trying to get brisket to behave for a hard start! 
  • lousubcap
    Options
     Never a dull moment trying to get brisket to behave for a hard start! 
    I will second that, especially when the FTC window is quickly closing.  But with wagyu and newbies you will blow them away, even if Texas. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Welp- broke my foot off in that one. Among the very best I’ve ever done. Highly recommend this brand if you see it. Fat was so buttery even before cooking and just incredible after it rendered. The one we trimmed in class was almost perfect out of the bag. May have trimmed .5lbs total and some of that was just to show people what to do.

even the first cut of flat  was moist and it was insane the further in you got. I hope they carry these all the time. Im sold. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker: I’ve always intrigued when you write about your classes. How did this get started and most importantly, when will you be teaching in the GWN?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker: I’ve always intrigued when you write about your classes. How did this get started and most importantly, when will you be teaching in the GWN?
    Ha ha. The store where we teach is a nice kitchen store in our area and we shop there a lot. He brought in BGE last year and he knew I was an egg nerd so he asked if we would teach a class. It was a big hit and we have sold out every one since. Everyone wants to learn to cook a brisket and nobody has a clue how to do it. Still blows my mind a little. We had 2 gas grill only guys and one Weber kettle guy in the class yesterday. Not sure how much they got out of it. The most common questions we get from egg owners are

1- how to light it (not kidding)
    2- why is my food so smoky (they are all using bge charcoal)
    3- how to cook a steak

Anyhow- We like doing it and it keeps us engaged without having to commit too much time/effort to it. We don’t eat much bbq anymore but I still like to cook it for others. This allows me to do that and we actually get paid a little for the effort. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I bet you have a ton of fun teaching those classes. I think it’s neat you are doing that. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker: Sounds like a great deal of fun for both you and participants. Wish I could attend one. 

With respect to your item number “2,” I anticipate some may also be putting their food on before the white smoke clears. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker: Sounds like a great deal of fun for both you and participants. Wish I could attend one. 

With respect to your item number “2,” I anticipate some may also be putting their food on before the white smoke clears. 
    Almost all of them. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I bet you have a ton of fun teaching those classes. I think it’s neat you are doing that. 
    We do enjoy it. We almost always spend at least another hour after class talking to people about the basics, showing set ups on the demo eggs, and talking about tips and tricks. Lots of info hungry noobs out there. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Talked to the meat manager today. He said sales are picking up every week and if they continue to sell well they plan to carry them year round. 

And also this: