Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dasturdly Dog, Ate the Meat right off the counter!

smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
So excited to make Smash Burgers for the first time!  

Went out to check the Egg and came back to find one of our dogs on the counter devouring the meat.  One was left, which my daughter ate..

I ended up with a smoked chicken salad sandwich, leftover sweet potato fries and  a smoked chicken empanada.  The chicken salad sandwich was very good, left overs from this Salt Lick recipe:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Even the best doggo can be tempted by goodies left too close to the edge.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    My dog tried to swipe a bratwurst out of the frying pan while they were frying.
  • dang dog  :s good thing for leftovers
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    @FlyOverCountry would say to turn the dog into burgers
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I solve that problem by cooking my dog a small burger. He gets it after we eat though. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited June 2019
    Forum legend Little Steven had a Burmese Mountain Dog which is a very large breed.  The dog would help himself from time to time to delicious meats and stuff on the counter.  Steve called it “counter surfing “.  I miss that guy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Pets.  Gotta love 'em.  This is one of the main concerns I have about getting a dog.  My first cat (as a kid) would straight jack me for my dinner if I turned my back, so I made sure not to feed my last fur baby from the table.  He wouldn't eat any table scraps--milk, seafood, red meat--nothing.  But if I had a Hawaiian sweet roll on my plate, he would jump on the table and swipe it.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Nothing is safe since this one showed up!
    You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    A number of years ago I went outside to light the Weber (I know, Boooo) and when I returned to the kitchen my Lab was running around the kitchen with 12 oz. fillet in her mouth that she grabbed off the counter...….she taught me lesson.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Years ago, I knew some folks who agreed to board a Great Dane. He was still a puppy, but already about as big as a pony. After a week, they had to keep him in the barn. The final straw was when a whole platter of chicken quarters were placed in the middle of the dining table for a party, and we heard a slurping sound. The dog had inhaled the whole platter. They were double upset both for the lost dinner and by the fact the dog might have cut his throat on the chix bones.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    A couple years ago I was getting ready to make some ABT.  I prepped the peppers and went out to check the egg.  Came back and she had ate all 6 ABTs.  They were raw and I guess the smell of the bacon was too much for her.  Surprisingly she never threw up, only had some screaming farts.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    My wife set the turkey on the ground when grabbing something out of the spare fridge downstairs the day of Thanksgiving. Fortunately it was the spare turkey being cooked. I carved around the bite missing. Dang dog.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Had a male Golden that ate a pot roast. 

New Albany, Ohio 

• SmokeyLopey
    SmokeyLopey Posts: 435
    My dog will swipe food, but he is worse abt swiping gloves. He recently got one of my grilling gloves...which wasn't nearly as heat resistant with holes in it!
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited June 2019
    Our youngest Boxer filched an entire pound of sharp cheddar cheese from a party tray on the center of the kitchen island. Nothing left but the rind. She is a bit of a snob 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I know your pain.  About 2-3 years ago I made a Tri-Tip.  Reverse seared.  Brought it in house and set it on counter to rest.  After the rest I just started slicing it and tried a small piece off the end.  It was outstanding.  

My son yells about something in the other room so I walk in there to see what the fuss is about.  I then hear my wife say "Willow!!!!" from the kitchen.  Walk back to the kitchen and discover that my Golden Retriever decided she really likes Tri_Tip.  Ate the whole 2 lb roast.  We ended up eating a Tombstone pizza.  
    XL BGE
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Stepdaughter's dog ate an entire 2 pound meatloaf my wife was fixing while she washe her hands
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,023
    I like my Jack Russels.  They can jump high, but not forward and high.  They cannot make it onto the counters, they have to be content with just jumping up and looking.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Our youngest Boxer filched an entire pound of sharp cheddar cheese from a party tray on the center of the kitchen island. Nothing left but the rind. She is a bit of a snob 
    My previous boxer did that but hit was a 2 pound block of expensive Manchego cheese. She was smarter than the current male. As soon as she stole food she would take it out the dog door to hide until she could finish it. Except for the time she stole an entire bag of cherry mint Riccola cough drops. Those she hid at various locations. For weeks she would randomly have cherry mint breath. Now the current boy as a pup did steal my wallet, remove the cash and hide it under a pillow while I was in the shower. I guess he was going to buy his own chit at Petsmart.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,737
    atleast your dog didnt steal the peking duck from your neighbors house during the chinese moon festival.  been a few years now and im still hearing about that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thank you for sharing all of your comments, bought more meat, trying again tonight..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • HoustonEgger
    HoustonEgger Posts: 616
    I like my Jack Russels.  They can jump high, but not forward and high.  They cannot make it onto the counters, they have to be content with just jumping up and looking.
    We have a Connemara terrier now - short legged Jacks. Used to have (2) long legged Jacks - one would jump on the counter and knock **** down for the other all the time. Teamed up to eat bags of chips all of the time
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Gulfcoastguy
    My boy smells that pork loin on the Medium and is scheming right now. A fence is keeping him 8 feet away. The little hamster wheel in his skull is spinning like the hamster is on lsd.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    One time I caught my freakin Siberian Husky tryin to snatch my A5 Wagyu Steak I was getting ready to cook. She almost got grilled that day.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Wow!  I know for a fact  A good friend told me that just a hooman eating an entire pound of cheese is in for a rough few days; can't imagine what it does to a small Boxer!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• MacPa
    MacPa Posts: 20

My dog, less than 6 month old, once grabbed a burger from my Grandsons plate. The next day I came home with a fresh bottle of hot sauce. After making another burger I doused it with 1/3 of the bottle and put the plate in the same place my Grandson left his. In no time the pup devoured the burger, after 5 minutes of licking her face she came back to the plate to clean up the hot sauce that was left.
    I have since found that Grannics Bitter Apple works
  • Joe_BGE
    Joe_BGE Posts: 6
    German Shepherd / Lab Mix pup if we leave it on the counter in the kitchen it's going to be gone.  Working on making sure she knows that's not good but in the past two weeks she's stolen 2 dinners from us.  Brats and chickens ....
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    A couple years ago I was getting ready to make some ABT.  I prepped the peppers and went out to check the egg.  Came back and she had ate all 6 ABTs.  They were raw and I guess the smell of the bacon was too much for her.  Surprisingly she never threw up, only had some screaming farts.
    Sounds about right. Same thing happens to me when I eat those things.