Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP --X-MAS DINNER PRIME RIB

Options
bw
bw Posts: 87
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Want to make a Prime Rib (Standing Rib Roast w/bone) for Xmas dinner. If there is any help or suggestions anyone can give I would greatly appreciate it, we have never made this yet. Do you raised grid/use inverter, how long to cook, seasonings, what temp to cook ect...How to slice off the bone?[p]Would like to make the Aujus Sauce as well if anyone as suggestions with that too..[p]Thank you
BW

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    mmprimage5.jpg
    <p />bw,
    Here's a link to a page showing how Mad Max does it:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Mad Max Prime Rib[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    would this technique work in a regular gas oven in the house?

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    nodock,
    absolutely ...before i got my egg, i alwasy did prime rib in the oven . ..just start your oven at 500 degrees. . put the roast in ... after 15 minutes, turn the oven temp down to 325. .. then figure about 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. ...will be very very good, just not as good as if done on the egg :-)

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    nodock,
    Alton Brown recently did one in a flower pot inside the oven. Suppose he was emulating an egg. He has a jus method as well.
    Bob

[ul][li]rib roast ala Alton Brown[/ul]
  • nodock,[p]I believe a good roast is one that is browned on the outside and juicy on the inside. You get this by searing and roasting 'till rare/med-rare.[p]I usually order a first-cut rib roast and have the butcher cut the meat off the ribs BUT save the bones (easier to cut). Let the roast stand at room temp for a couple of hours then rub w/ oil, salt and pepper. Brown it, retie the bones, and place roast bone-side down and roast 'till 122-125*. Rest before slicing.[p]Cook's Illustrated uses ox tails and red wine to make a rich beef flavored jus. I may try it this year. Don't forget the Yorkshire pudding![p]KbJ
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    bw, I still dont have a time table, but I do mine slow first then sear at the end. @250 dome till the meat is 125, then I remove and let it rest for about 15-20 minutes, I then let the egg come to sear temps and sear the meat as I like it, then a quick rest and it is slice time. This also allows me to have a little longer serving period with out over cooking the meat if someting wasnt timed right.

• Rusty Rooster
    Options
    bobbyb,
    Thanks and where did you find this? I saw this show and want to do it this Sunday. I looked allover his site and could not find this recipe. I absorbed enough watching I figured I would get by, but this gives me a much better comfort level. I orederd my roast yesterday, bone in approx. 10 lb.