Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Trivet

Fireball
Fireball Posts: 354
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using a Lodge Cast Iron Trivet in my eggs for about 9 months. I just noticed that one has cracked starting from the outside edge and ruuning for about an inch toward the center. Has this happened to any one else? Just wondering? Thanks
Fireball

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Fireball, yup mine did the same. As for my small I use a cast iron floor drain with 5 extra holes drilled in the center (can't leave anything alone) and that works fine. Got it from a True Value. Next time I'll do the same for Mr Big instead of the Lodge trivet.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Fireball,
    Just checked mine, no crack. Also about 9 months
    old. Sorry about the empty posting.[p]Chuck

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Fireball,[p]Hmm,Mine has been in for almost 2 years. I have not pulled it out to see it for about a year (I clean my Egg about yearly) and I just keep adding new lump so I rarely see the trivet. I will have to look. I can't imagine it cracking. [p]Tim
  • Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Fireball,
    Checking you guys on your Lodge CI Trivet retrofit for the bottom grate....Just got mine in the mail from Lodge, for imminent install on my Large...QUESTION: with all the extra air holes, vs. the "stock" set-up, should one have to make any adjustments on air, etc., to keep good heat control? Just wondering----you guys would know if there's a difference!! This is kind of like putting on some cool aftermarket stuff on your rig, like better breathing intake, bigger carbs, headers, etc. Thanks, before I get carried away. Big Murth @ .08+

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Big Murth,
    It is like putting a supercharger on a 426 Hemi!!! To tell the truth I didn't get much experience with the old ceramic grate. I repalced them with cast iron within a week. So my eggs were "supercharged from the start.
    Fireball

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Big Murth,[p]You will quickly notice how fast it gets up to temps and you will notice that a tiny movement in the vent will get results quicker at the dome thermometer. Just use smaller steps when regulating the top and bottom vents until you get us to the change.[p]Tim