Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Anyone own a Viking refrigerator?

Options
BGEChicago
BGEChicago Posts: 574
Hi Guys,

I bought a Samsung refrigerator 4 years ago, after 6 attempts to fix the icemaker the company that sold it to me took it back and refunded my money. I then bought this LG model; https://www.abt.com/product/83883/LG-Counter-Depth-Stainless-Steel-French-Door-Refrigerator-Bottom-Freezer-LFXC24726S.html

I thought my problems were over.. well 8 months after having this one the compressor went out, the re seller (ABT) came out and fixed it... fast forward 1 year and the compressor went out again.. they fixed it again... guess what happened over the weekend? So basically 3 compressors, driers, etc. in 3 years... ABT has agreed to take this unit back and issue a store credit for the full amount. I guess it was the right thing to do considering this class action lawsuit against LG:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/lg-refrigerator-class-action-lawsuit/

As you can imagine, I'm kinda soured on LG and Samsung. I was thinking about this Viking model:
https://www.abt.com/product/112480/Viking-36-Professional-3-Series-Stainless-Steel-French-Door-Bottom-Freezer-Refrigerator-RVRF3361SS.html

This particular model is manufactured by Electrolux so if anyone has feedback for those models? I am reaching out to you guys because the reviews for Viking refrigeration is all over the board, some feedback is great and some are terrible..

In a perfect world, I could find a quality 36" refrigerator only and buy one of these for the garage:
 Image result for true refrigeration

Btw... I don't need a ice or water dispenser... I'm just looking to buy something that will last longer than 4 years  ;)

Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a Viking , I battled the same issue with my Samsung, seems resolved now 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We had ne when we lived in Chicago. It came with the new construction condo we bought in 2012.

Freaking awesome. You could put an open bottle of wine in it and it would be good the next day. Great suction.

The house we bought in ATX came with a thermador. When it dies, we'll get another Viking.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    My parents have had a Viking for years and love it. We installed a Subzero 31 years ago and would do it again. 
    IL 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    edited May 2019
    Options
    @LetsEat and @dmchicago encouraging comments. I'm really limited  with the width space. When we remodel the kitchen I'll have more options but for now this is the best option I could come up with. Thank you both for your comments.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I will never buy another Samsung anything after how they treated me on this POS $3600 fridge I bought 3 years ago. 3 ice makers (and i've given up on it after the 3rd- it's broken too), the deli drawer completely crapped out and every single shelf on the doors have cracked or fallen apart. I don't even want it as a garage fridge. I should have driven it to where we bought it and left it in the parking lot. Would have been cheaper and WAY more satisfying. Hope you find peace in your quest for a good one. Please let me know what you find.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i have 3 fridges, the newest is late 1970's.  i changed the door gasket in the 1940 fridge. these new fridges should last forever
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    My parents have had a Viking for years and love it. We installed a Subzero 31 years ago and would do it again. 
    FWIW-  I also put in a subzero in the kitchen. That was 19 years ago - no issues. 
    Got two more used ones 3-4 years ago for a steal, and have been using them in the basement. Those have been issue free as well. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    We buy all of our appliances at ABT. We bought a Whirlpool French door and freezer on the bottom. Other than the ice maker needing to be replaced after the first week it has had no issues. We did not go with the ice maker and water dispenser built into the door based on our reps recommendation. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,421
    Options
    Run from anything Electrolux refrigerator/freezer. I’ve had my Icon French Door for 8 years. I’m on the third one. It’s now out of warranty (first 2 replaced within 4 years). On the current one, I’m on the third complete ice maker. It’s a POS. $4200 fridge, never again. Our problem was counter depth and this was the “best looking” option. I’m extremely tempted to just get a commercial series fridge this go round and use my upright freezer that’s in the utility room. Only issue will be getting an ice maker
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Just had service on our Bosch dishwasher, and spoke at length with the guy about his experience with refrigerators. We’re looking for a counter depth fridge only model. GOOD LUCK FINDING ONE that isn’t a new car....

... anyway ....

never buy samsung or lg. 
    Viking and sub zero are ok - very expensive to repair when they do need it. 

**Buy frigidaire. Hands down most reliable and cheap to fix. **

Fixit guy was fantastic, btw. We bought the extended warranty on the dishwasher (which is awesome and never has problems). It runs out in two months. He was able to fix the code without replacing any parts. So he ordered in all the expensive replacement parts and gave them to me for later, if we have trouble after warranty runs out. Great guy. 

Lemme know if you find  that counter depth fridge only for less than $1500...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    We bought a GE (GYE22KSHSS) for our house in 2015.  Been a great fridge.  Only had one service call (some board in the panel) and it was fixed quickly and under warranty.  No issues since.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Dont buy Viking. They are trash ever since they sold out in 2013. Even before then. I live in MS so many of the nice homes around here having Viking kitchens and I've yet to meet a homeowner that was happy with it. My parents have owned 2 homes with them and hated both. Parts constantly go out, they are expensive to fix and then a few months later... do it all over again.

If you want an upscale fridge then get a Subzero. They are better in every way. But they are expensive. My grandparents have had the same Subzero fridge going on 20 years with no real repairs. My appliance repair guy said they are bullet proof when I asked him.  I'm very sold right now seeing as I just bought one so that's probably influencing my Subzero love.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'm familiar with 15-30 year old Commercial Viking not 2019 residential.  So they call it professional series and with only 6 reviews and overall rating of a little over 2? Considering your history with other units I would suggest finding other recent reviews from customers on this exact model.  
    I read through the specs and they look good technically.  I didn't notice it but, my gut tells me they have, like most manufacturers, went with R290 or some other hydrocarbon.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    +1 on subzero quality but you pay for the name too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    I appreciate all your input.  My daughter is finalizing on the details of having a house built in Basehor, KS
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Given "Vikings" are historically arsonists and rapists, and in a modern sense chokers of playoff games, maybe the company is aptly named.
    Options
    Ok, before you tell me "I told you so" I gave myself a stern talking to when my new Viking was delivered. I foolishly listened to the wife, here is the wisper quiet compressor running:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ly4MdMlWqhQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I would lobe to get a Subzero now but I don't have the room for it until the kitchen remodel next year. I have a cheap Samsung being delivered tomorrow...