Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Style Beef Sandwiches

BucsFanJim
BucsFanJim Posts: 161
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone have a recipe? Never had it so I don't know where to start.[p]Having friends and family over to watch the Bears trounce my beloved Bucs tomorrow...and a nice hot sandwich may just make feel a little better. [p]Much thanks!

Comments

• BucsFanJim,
    If it was me... and I don't know Chicago beef sandwiches, but I do know beef sandwiches...I'd take some beef bones, add water, onions, garlic (fresh) herbs, spices, bay leaf, red wine, beer, and I would boil it until I had a good broth to use as a juice. I start by sauteing the onions and garlic with in good olive oil with a little salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, and bay leaf, (celery, carrots &?? can't hurt) then add some wine, cook it down a bit, and then add bones and water. Add your favorite herbs and spices, and boil/simmer until it tastes like it'll make someone else smile. [p]Once the prime rib or (chuck steak) or whatever you are egging has been cooled and sliced, I'd combine it all in a pan and let them have at it!. A couple of jars of your favorite BBQ sauce on the side and you have a great sammich![p]Mike in MN

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    1ca50e27.jpg
    <p />BucsFanJim,
    I think WessB has a recipe for pit beef on his web site. I like to cook a large round roast at abot 275 to an internal temp of 135. I season with my favorite rub. Slice thin for great roast beef sandwiches. Tri Tip makes great sandwiches as well. Good luck, Tom

• Mike in MN,[p]I just did a chuck steak last night that would have made good sandwiches, or you could use prime rib... depending upon how much $$ you want to spend. My grocery store is selling bone in rib roasts at $6.98 a pound now, and they would be my choice. The meat should be well marbeled with fat. The chuck is cheap, and can be a poor choice because of the gristle content. It depends on what looks like it will work when you hit the meat counter.[p]I cook them like a large steak. Sear the outside on high heat, (all sides) and then drop the temp and finish at a lower temp (300°- 325° or so)until they are done to your likeness. I don't measure temps, it's more of a firmness /feel, but 135° internal would be a good number.[p]Mike in MN
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    BucsFanJim,
    Do a search on "Chicago Italian beef recipe" and you will find a bunch of recipes. Getting the broth right is probably more important that the cut of meat. -RP