Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Minimax with or without the new portable nest?

TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited May 2019 in EggHead Forum

So I've decided I am going to get another egg once my house is built. Mainly for my son to cook on (inspiration @ryantt and Norah Grace) and for quick cooks and hot and fast searing. Right now I am leaning towards the minimax. Couple of questions. What kind of price have you guys been paying lately? and What are your thoughts on the new portable nest for the minimax? My son likes the minimax in the nest because the height is perfect for him and its just tall enough for me.I like the portability of the minimax to take camping or tailgating so the medium or another large isn't really in the picture. I also am not interested in a KJ or Vision or the like. Kiddo has told me he wants an egg like his dad so BGE it is.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• Dmb3739
    Dmb3739 Posts: 62
    I have an XL and a mini max.  Was thinking how nice it would be to smoke a brisket while camping.  Well, it's true, it's awesome.  There is 1 major problem.  Although the mini max is portable, it's not something you will want to move often or far due to its weight.  Prior to camping season, I had both on my deck.  I also have the portable nest.  Great accessory.  I've got to be honest, I was using the mini max way more than the XL because its perfect for a small family.  

Now that camping season is upon us, I've decided to leave the mini max in the 5th wheel.  Boy do I miss it on the back deck.  It heats up and cools down much faster than the XL and uses far less charcoal.  I highly recommend the mini max. 

Going camping this weekend and have a 6 lb brisket flat that I intend to smoke.  I should mention that it's also big enough to do a 9 lb Boston butt (obviously not at the same time).

It is my opinion that if you do purchase one, you will not be disappointed. If my memory serves me correct, the mini max goes for $599.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like you’ve got your answers already from the man in charge. MM is $499 here w/o stand. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I think the new stand is interesting.  My mini max lives in my garage, rolling in a medium nest.  This keeps it kind of low, but still allows it to roll.  I wish they would have made the new stand mobile, but I understand why they didn't.  The use case seems to be campsite, park, etc..

New in box mini max is $599.  I got mine for less than that, but purchased it from someone that won it, and didn't know what it was.
  • last time I ck'd with my BGE dealer the MM was $509, I'll ck tomorrow to confirm
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I have 6 of them left.....you want me to see what it is to ship one?
  • Selling them for $299 in Southern Massachusets.  I already have a mini, so I didn’t jump on it as I usually would.
    Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Any minis Jonathan?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Ya that would be great! 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    I have one and am full time in a 5th wheel.  I also have the stand. The connection for the MM nest legs to the stand is not very good. I would not, however, be without the stand.  I don't want to constantly squat to cook.   Table space is a luxury so I keep the stand.  I pull the MM out at each camping spot and set it up.  Makes me feel at home.  Paid 600 bucks for MM and then a hundred or so for the stand. I did not price shop.  I was getting the shakes not having a BGE so I drove to local (at the time)  Ace and bought one.  If you have patience you can score a deal but you have no idea how many cooks you are missing out on while you search. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • stlcharcoal
    Selling them for $299 in Southern Massachusets.  I already have a mini, so I didn’t jump on it as I usually would.
    Mini, not minimax right?  Otherwise they're selling them at a loss.
  • Bart1434
    Bart1434 Posts: 160
    Selling them for $299 in Southern Massachusets.  I already have a mini, so I didn’t jump on it as I usually would.
    Where in southern Mass? I’m from CT and have never seen a price close to this...

Southwestern, CT

"I'd walk through hell in a gasoline suit to play baseball." - Pete Rose

...and to eat some great Food of course
  • stlcharcoal
    Jeremiah said:
    Any minis Jonathan?
    Nope, just MMX and KJ Jr's for the little guys.

My dad used to have a Mini that he never used, he asked me to put it on Craiglist and sell it for him.  I told him no, that I was going to keep it for his urn (and use my charcoal to cremate him of course.)  He's got a sick sense of humor as well......said he'd save me the trouble and try to die near the curb on trash day.  Like father like son, right?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @TEXASBGE2018 I would defiantly get the stand, as you said it’s the perfect hight for him.  Im excited to see what he cooks on his new toy!!!

One suggestion I would make is to get him his own tools, a chef needs their own! I’m not sure how old your son is but a nice chefs knife and a paring knife are a great start. 

Let me know now when you get setup as I’m sure Norah would like to send him a care package. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    @stlcharcoal your  warped sense of humor, makes me think you are a medical professional....it seems to be common. 

• TEXASBGE2018
    ryantt said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 I would defiantly get the stand, as you said it’s the perfect hight for him.  Im excited to see what he cooks on his new toy!!!

One suggestion I would make is to get him his own tools, a chef needs their own! I’m not sure how old your son is but a nice chefs knife and a paring knife are a great start. 

Let me know now when you get setup as I’m sure Norah would like to send him a care package. 
    Ya I will definitely get the stand. My son is about to turn 8 and slowly is getting more and more interested in using knives and the like. He was a bit afraid at 1st but I've been teaching him proper technique lately. House will be completed in the fall so for now we are just working on cooking indoors and learning seasoning, knife skills, and what purpose we use each tool for. I appreciate the offer and will keep everyone updated.

• stlcharcoal
    ryantt said:
    @stlcharcoal your  warped sense of humor, makes me think you are a medical professional....it seems to be common. 
    Yup, my wife, my dad, and myself all used to be.

My wife and I were both in emergency medical roles for 10+ yrs (ER nurse and EMS helicopter pilot), so yes, you have to have a very f'd up sense of humor (or a good therapist) to get through what you see.  Once we had kids, it was starting to mess with me, so it was time to move onto something less dangerous and mentally taxing.  
  • newEGGlandah
    newEGGlandah Posts: 20
    edited May 2019
    Bart1434 said:
    Where in southern Mass? I’m from CT and have never seen a price close to this...
    Koopmans lumber - It May have been some promotion they were doing because I called and it’s 580 now.  Dealer in the family, so I didn’t buy it in the spot.
    Large&Mini BGEs:  HeaterMeter w/Roto Damper, Thermapen, ET-733, CI Woo&Spider
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    ryantt said:
    Yup, my wife, my dad, and myself all used to be.

My wife and I were both in emergency medical roles for 10+ yrs (ER nurse and EMS helicopter pilot), so yes, you have to have a very f'd up sense of humor (or a good therapist) to get through what you see.  Once we had kids, it was starting to mess with me, so it was time to move onto something less dangerous and mentally taxing.  
    I hear you. I was a firefighter for a number of years - we only called the EMS helicopter pilots when things were in dire straights (but there was still a chance). 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • FWIW:  MM=$530  stand=$127  at local dealer in town
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    For those that have their Mini Max in the stand, how secure is it?  Both the fastening system and the balance of the stand and likelihood for it to be knocked over.  That would be devastating.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TEXASBGE2018
    Any recommendations on cookbooks geared towards the Kamado? Kiddo asked for a cookbook also.

• ryantt
    edited May 2019
    Any recommendations on cookbooks geared towards the Kamado? Kiddo asked for a cookbook also.
    Norah liked the DR BBQ cook book.  

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited May 2019
    I used to always recommend this to new BGE owners, because every recipe describes the draft and daisy settings.  It may not be quite as good with BGE’s new top.  But it still is very good for the new BGE user with good description of BGE use and different setups and a lot of good basic recipes IMO. 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet