Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long is pulled pork good for ?

Smoked a pork butt Sunday, it is five days later and I realize I forgot to put the remainder in the freezer. How long would you guys keep this stuff? I feel like if I froze it now once It was unthawed it would only be good for a day . It’s been in a cold fridge for 5 days at this point . 

1 Large Egg, Blackstone griddle

Belgium...........The Netherlands??

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I would keep it. Divide into meal sized servings, vac seal each, then freeze. That way, doesn't matter if the defrosted portion is only good for a day.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Still good to eat if your fridge is at a good temp and still good to freeze. Pulled pork freezes well. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Sea2Ski said:
    Still good to eat if your fridge is at a good temp and still good to freeze. Pulled pork freezes well. 
    I vac seal mine. I typically steam mine when reheating to keep moisture levels up. Seems to work well.
    Pratt, KS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    No worries at five days.  I've gone ten without even thinking about it just as long as you have good temp control in your fridge as noted above. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2019
    With a Costco pair of pork butts completely pulled after the cook, we vacuum seal whatever is left after our initial meal.  We'll typically leave a bag or two in the refrigerator to eat within the next week to ten days and freeze the rest. For my wife and I, this means that we are typically then left with ten to twelve packages that heat up wonderfully in a water bath for a few months to  follow.   Moisture and texture are both there.  It's great because there is such a variety of meals that you can make with pulled pork.  It makes for a very satisfying cook.

Edit:  We use a chamber vacuum sealer which simplifies the process and eliminates the concern of moisture impeding the ability to get a good seal.  (no paper towel inserts, no freezing a little before sealing, etc.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The broad guideline for meats is 7 days in the 'fridge uncooked, 4 after cooking. But this assumes there are not lots of salt or spices in the food. Your PP is probably fine, supposing it was well rubbed and smoked. Still, reheat to 145 and hold for around 5 min.

If you freeze it, make it as fast as possible. Chill bags in ice water before putting in freezer. When defrosting, there is some extra time, an hour or so, before any pathogens present can start growing again.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    edited May 2019
    You'll be fine, lots of good advice.  Coincidentally, earlier today we found this forgotten pack in the freezer, going to make fried rice with leftover rice. Like @mahenryak I also use a chamber sealer.

canuckland