Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bobby Flay at Kentucky Derby

Options
My wife swears she saw Bobby Flay at the Kentucky Derby say he precooked chicken in buttermilk before frying it. I can’t find that anywhere. Can anyone help? Frying tonight. 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Much more likely presoaked.  A good technique.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I found something about poaching it in the buttermilk it’s been marinating in. Going to try that but if anyone saw that I’d sure appreciate any details 

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Soaking in buttermilk is very common for fried chicken in the South.  Given that there's a movement to SV chicken before frying, I can see him pre-cooking it in buttermilk. Probably soaked it first, either way.
    Options
    I suppose you could put buttermilk and chicken in a bag then Sous Vide 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    I’m just poaching it in a Dutch oven on the cooktop in the buttermilk marinade I put it in last night.

Ronald Reagan

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I know this thread is about chicken, but years ago there was a local neighborhood tavern that held a fish fry every Friday. Their secret to such tasty fish was soaking it for 24 hrs in butter milk. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    I know this thread is about chicken, but years ago there was a local neighborhood tavern that held a fish fry every Friday. Their secret to such tasty fish was soaking it for 24 hrs in butter milk. 
    That's SOP for shark.  Helps pull the urea out of the meat.
    Options
    I've never heard of soaking fish in buttermilk for more than a half hour or so. Buttermilk is fairly acidic. Wouldn't the flesh of fish (most fish anyway) soaked in it for 24 hours be kinda mushy (like ceviche that has set too long)?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    And yes Bobby Flay was at the Derby although I only have that on high roller and media sightings. B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Also good with catfish.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I've never heard of soaking fish in buttermilk for more than a half hour or so. Buttermilk is fairly acidic. Wouldn't the flesh of fish (most fish anyway) soaked in it for 24 hours be kinda mushy (like ceviche that has set too long)?
    I read 4 hours, but you are right, it is a bit more acidic than milk.  You can use milk, but you aren't going to turn it to mush with buttermilk in 4 hours.  I've eaten leftover ceviche the next day and its "cooked" a quarter inch in.
    Options
    My dad used to brine in light salt water for a time. Then brine in buttermilk for a day, then fry in a skillet, for many types of protein. On the low end of temps. Can not go wrong. Chicken, rabbit, fish, it was all good!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I read 4 hours, but you are right, it is a bit more acidic than milk.  You can use milk, but you aren't going to turn it to mush with buttermilk in 4 hours.  I've eaten leftover ceviche the next day and its "cooked" a quarter inch in.
    Well, guys - I can't go ask/confirm the 24 hour fish soak since our going there was back in '68 thru '73. At the end that tavern had turned into a biker bar and a couple guys were knifed and shortly there after a dude was shot to death. The place closed down and never reopened.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bodis
    Bodis Posts: 7
    Options
    He soaked it in buttermilk and then cooked it in the oven to about halfway done and then coated and fried. This method is to ensure you have chicken that is completely cooked after frying. It is a restaurant trick that will likely take a lot of stress off those of us who don’t fry chicken regularly.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    And yes Bobby Flay was at the Derby although I only have that on high roller and media sightings. B)
    Ron?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    RRP said:
    Diuretics and bladder irritants do this too.
  • Simcan
    Simcan Posts: 287
    Options
    My go-to procedure for fried chicken is a buttermilk brine (with some salt and spices and hot sauce), sealed and sous vide at 150 for a few hours, then dredge, rest in the fridge (for a few hours or even overnight) to have the dredge become one with the the meat, then quickly fry to the right colour and crispiness.  Juicy and perfect doneness everytime. It is simpler and way less work than it sounds when I type it out.
    Toronto ON
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,945
    Options
    RRP said:
    HeavyG said:
    Well, guys - I can't go ask/confirm the 24 hour fish soak since our going there was back in '68 thru '73. At the end that tavern had turned into a biker bar and a couple guys were knifed and shortly there after a dude was shot to death. The place closed down and never reopened.
    Was this place in Nam, Ron?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @johninCarolina - his nickname was Trapper 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Dawgtired
    Options
    Bodis said:
    He soaked it in buttermilk and then cooked it in the oven to about halfway done and then coated and fried. This method is to ensure you have chicken that is completely cooked after frying. It is a restaurant trick that will likely take a lot of stress off those of us who don’t fry chicken regularly.

So did he cook it in the buttermilk in the oven?

Ronald Reagan