Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long is too long for a Brisket FTC

Smoking a 20lbs full packer from Costco for wife's work retreat and of course it's done way too early.  Anybody see a  problem with FTC for about 7 hours before served?  Thanks. 
Retired Navy, LBGE
Pinehurst, NC

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    You can FTC for as long as the temp stays above 140*F and then a couple of hours after that.  So, I've gone 5+ hrs with an el cheapo Igloo cooler.  High end cooler, pre-warmed with hot water (or insert warmed bricks) and then HDAF wrapped brisket will go well past 7 hours.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    I’ve never gone above 6 hours, but as @lousubcap mentioned, it’s all about staying in the safe zone temp wise.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2019
    I've held 6 hours with great results.  Good luck with the cook!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've held for 12 hours before. Some loss of quality, a little too tender by the time i finally was able to serve it. But still got rave reviews.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    I've got a couple of hot bricks in the bottom of the cooler with the Brisket FTC'd.  Smells and looks awesome! 

Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I put my wireless in the cooler with the meat. FTC can go a while... nice to know the internal and external temps so you're sure to be safe...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Using a better quality cooler with an air tight gasket makes a huge difference in not losing heat.
    I've got a couple of hot bricks in the bottom of the cooler with the Brisket FTC'd.  Smells and looks awesome! 

Score serious points here for "Retired Navy" as I missed that in my initial response and even more serious points for the looks of that brisket.  The bark is great and I'm sure the outcome will be off-the-charts.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • hogfan412
    hogfan412 Posts: 75
    Hot bricks in the bottom is a great idea if you know you are going to be awhile.   Good thinking there.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    hogfan412 said:
    Hot bricks in the bottom is a great idea if you know you are going to be awhile.   Good thinking there.
    Got me to wondering if anyone's tried just using a heating pad in the cooler; works for seedlings, hatched chicks, yogurt and arthritic knees; why not brisket/butts?

This subject comes up on this forum often.  Has anyone here actually gone too long, ending up with cold or even salmonellic brisket?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    And yes, "salmonellic" is a word, because I used it.  :tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• bradleya123
    bradleya123 Posts: 464
    Thanks for all the help Shipmates!!  I've heard the brisket was spectacular and the burnt ends out of this world!!  God I love my BGE!!!
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC