Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - recommendation for wine refrigerator?

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,844
We have recently expanded our wine collection and our 35 bottle cooler doesn’t meet our needs. I’ve done some googling looking for (ideally) something that will hold 200 bottles or more. Everything I’ve found has mostly good ratings and a small number of reviews that say something sucks about every model - too loud... broke after 6 months... froze my entire wine collection... glass door spontaneously shattered... etc 

Do any of you guys/gals have any insight/knowledge?  @YukonRon

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I have a Wine Guardian just sitting at my shop if you want to make a Wine Room---Its a remote ducted wine cooler ....if you can use it it's yours 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I think boxes don’t need refrigeration 
    @Jeremiah. That true? 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Reminds me. @Sea2Ski May have some refrigerator advice. “Build your own.”
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    I think boxes don’t need refrigeration 
    @Jeremiah. That true? 
    True. But I buy mine at the gas station on the way home. No need for fancy refrigeration. 

Dickheads. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    @Foghorn, I can't remember if most homes in San Antonio had basements or not; an insulated room a la @Sea2Ski, using a standalone cooler like @Ikapigian so generously offered, would be the way to go.  
    I have about a 4' x 8' cement-lined room in my basement that I used for a wine cellar; it wasn't temp-controlled but did stay pretty steady through the seasons.  Since I quit dating, someone snuck in and drank what I had left and I haven't been buying wine since.  Might be a bit of a drive for you to use it, though....

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Reminds me. @Sea2Ski May have some refrigerator advice. “Build your own.”
    That is exactly what I would do.  If I were in Foghorn’s position and looking for 200+ bottle capacity.  Even if you are not going to make it a wine cellar that you are going to entertain in, cellaring wine properly takes controlled conditions.  If one has the space and @lkapigian is making a very, very generous offer, I would find a way to build one. 

At at the same time, I totally understand the allure of having a delivery and plugging in a plug. Sooo much cheaper, easier and quicker. 

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am running a 60 bottle Haier dual zone, and keeping the remaining bottles resting on shelves in the basement of our home that remains about 67F year round.

The Haier has performed flawlessly since we plugged it in a couple years ago, service is excellent, it is very quiet and is a nice piece visually. We had ours built-in when we rebuilt our kitchen.

I have had more than one person tell me, that if you are going to keep a large quantity of wine on hand, to build a wine cellar and limit the number you keep in the wine refrigerator. The risk is too great to leave a large quantity in a single appliance, due to the fact, a simple power outage can/will create issues.

We are lucky our very old house was built the way it had been, as the cellar was the cooler for many years, and perfectly lends itself to a pretty effecient performance as a wine cave.

My recommendation would be the same. If you are without a cellar, build a room, insulate it and add a/c. Many of my friends have done this and some of the designs are so simple, it is laughable, but they work.

Let me know if I can be of further help.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    When did you visit Ron? I think he wanted that kept on the down low.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    @lkapigian - Where are you located?  I might be willing to take it off your hands.  Do you know what capacity it is?  What would you want for it?
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm in California ( Central) it is a D025

Specs Click HERE

Only installed for a year, the company that installed it put it in an attic with no High Ambient Option on the unit, we installed the correct model and kept this one
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    Options
    Ah, unfortunate.  I'm in Georgia.  If you were in the Southeast I'd have bought it from you.  Thanks anyway.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    This is under @YukonRons place 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    You know, I look at my pitiful metal racks I keep in the cellar, and think; "How in the world am I going to drink that much wine?"

Then family and friends come over, then I think; "How in the world did they drink that much wine?" After looking at my empty shelves of my pitiful metal racks, I keep in the cellar.

Plan on clearing space in the cellar for more shelves,  because 200 is just enough to piss off our friends and family.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments.  Keep them coming.

I don't have a basement.  The limestone here doesn't allow it.  And I don't really have a room that I can dedicate to wine, so I'm probably going to buy something that is freestanding.  Costco may be a good place to look.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Does it have to hold magnums and boxes?
    Options
    Wife keeps the boxed wine & bottles that she will be serving soon in a fridge in garage.
    i keep all the beer in a separate fridge in my shop, which can also store my fishworms!

• Foghorn
    Options
    Does it have to hold magnums and boxes?
    Not necessarily.

San Antonio, TX