Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First soaked salmon

This is only my second cook with my new BGE and my first seafood . I had a nice piece of salmon brining for tonight and I was planning to use some Pecan chips. I was told 1.5 hours@200 thoughts on time,temp and wood choice? How much chips should i use ?

Comments

• NavalAV8R
    NavalAV8R Posts: 17
    edited March 2016
    I absolutely love salmon on my egg and over time, here's what I've learned.

I prefer a light smoke flavor, so I go sparingly on the wood chips and pecan is a good choice. I would suggest going easy on the smoke at first and see how you like it, and adjust accordingly next time you cook salmon.

Your time to cook is the ballpark, depending on the thickness of the salmon. Bear in mind thinner parts will cook faster than thicker sections. I cut the salmon into thick & thin pieces and pull them when they hit 145 internal.

Keeping the egg at 200 is hard. What I do, and it takes practice, is put the salmon on indirect and high in the dome (Also referred to as "raised indirect." I only mention that as it took me months to figure out what long-time posters were referring to.) and light lump that's previously been used so there's a minimum of VOCs to burn off. As the temperature comes up, I keep it as low as I can, and by the time I can't keep it around 200ish, the salmon is done or close to it. It takes practice, and I'll be honest, I've missed the mark a few times, but keep an eye on the internal temp of the salmon and you can't go wrong!
    North Augusta, SC
    LBGE, offset smoker
  • Highmarket
    Highmarket Posts: 1
    What does voc stand for
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited May 2019
    VOC- volatile organic compound.  Hit google or the search feature here-plenty of threads.  Basically the reason for the initial "bad smoke" smell.  Wait for good smoke when the off-gassing is finished.  FWIW-
    Edit:  Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.