Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Letter Carrier Food Drive Saturday 5/11/19

Options
gonepostal
gonepostal Posts: 711
Tomorrow is food drive day for mail carrier’s across the country. If you feel inclined, please leave a canned good  or two in your mail box to be picked up. 

Wetumpka, Alabama
LBGE and MM

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @gonepostal I will take up the challenge and I say that since our carrier has provided no heads-up and likely will wonder WTF.  I will send you a PM with the results.  Here's hoping I am off the mark and wrong.  FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    rec'd a card in my mail, bagged up and ready to go Sat.
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Thanks for the heads up on this. Just took a bag full to the mailbox and saw the card for the drive. I would have missed it had I not seen your thread. Thanks again. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Done.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Our bag is filled and ready to go. Thanks for the reminder.
  • gonepostal
    Options
    @lousubcap i do hope your bag gets picked up. Not receiving a notice makes me wonder though. Let me know how it goes. Thanks for giving it a shot!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Been doing this for several years.  I have it bagged up for my carrier in the morning.
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    food bagged up and hung up on mailbox hook . . . not picked up . . . WTF
    will try again on Monday
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • lousubcap
    Options
    No joy here either.  Also drove around Sat AM before mail delivery through several neighborhoods with different zip codes.  No bags hanging out.  Guess it wasn't part of the program around Louisville. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DoubleEgger
    edited May 2019
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No joy here either.  Also drove around Sat AM before mail delivery through several neighborhoods with different zip codes.  No bags hanging out.  Guess it wasn't part of the program around Louisville. 
    A friend of mine who delivers in rural Georgia told me that they didn’t get any bags this year. We got just a card the day before. No bags. Hopefully people put the donations inside the mail box like I did due to the weather. 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    How does the Drive work out West where plastic bags are a faux pas? Paper? Reusuables? Nothing? West Coasters, please chime in. 
  • gonepostal
    Options
    @marysvilleksegghead It's pretty hard to miss a bag when it's hanging on the hook like that. SMH. Please tell me that you didn't receive any mail yesterday. Our local food bank comes back at the end of the week and picks up any forgotten/missed food that rolls in so hopefully your Monday plan will work. I'm sorry to hear about your experience and thank you for trying. 

@lousubcap I will see what i can find out about certain cities/areas of the country not participating. The food drive is put on by city carriers (uniformed) and i have heard of rural carriers (non-uniformed) choosing not to participate. So would be interested to know if the neighborhoods/zip codes that you checked out Sat morning were served by uniformed carriers. 
    Again, thank you for trying.

@DoubleEgger I received my 2 (lol) cards and bag Saturday a week ago in my city but didn't get the go ahead from my management to deliver them until Thursday/Friday. Cards went Thursday and bags Friday. As far as the bags go, we don't have them every single year. It comes down to who wants to jump on board and donate bags for the cause. Publix helped out locally for a few years but they dropped off and we went without for a couple of years.

I will add that the participation increases drastically for us when we hand out bags. I guess they just serve as such a good reminder. I easily picked up triple  compared to last year.
    Thank you for participating!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • gonepostal
    Options
    I’m on a walking route these days so I don’t have nearly as many stops but this is a pretty good haul of grub. 
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @gonepostal PM sent with the zip codes.  On it for 2020.