Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Ssäm

smokingal
smokingal Posts: 1,025

This recipe for steak ssäm was taken from the Momofuku cookbook and modified just a bit to add some additional flavors to the marinade. The marinade calls for apple juice, soy sauce, garlic, onion and sesame oil. I added worcestershire sauce, fish sauce, granulated beef broth and fresh ground black pepper.

The steak of choice was a Wagyu hanging tender, which was marinated for 24 hours.

The recipe calls for condiments of puréed kimchi and a ginger-scallion concoction, which included oil (olive), sherry vinegar and a pinch of salt.

Plain white rice is also called for, but that was too boring, so I used jasmine rice cooked in coconut juice which got infused with jasmine green tea.

The hangar steak was patted dry and cooked caveman style for 2 minutes per side. I was going for a rare temp.

Butter leaf lettuce got a good rinsing and dinner was served.

Hangar steak has a unique, deeply rich, beefy flavor and the various components of the marinade only helped to accentuate this fact. The puréed kimchi provided a nice level of heat and an overall earthy, funkiness to the dish, to which the ginger-scallion mix provided a tart, sharp bite. The green tea coconut jasmine rice was on par with the beef. The taste of green tea paired well with the floral notes of jasmine and the natural sweetness of the coconut. This recipe is definitely a keeper. Very good eats.

It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
Egging in the Atlanta GA region
Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com

Comments