Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Purchase of Big Green Egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My husband has recently gotten interested in smokers, and we found out about the Big Green Egg. I would like to buy one for him for his birthday and would like feedback about the best size to buy. Right now, I am leaning toward the Large size. Please advise! Thank you.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Mary Kennedy,
    Welcome! Wow, what a gift.
    Unless you will be transporting it a lot, go with the large.
    I bought a medium first, then within a month upgraded to a large. More flexibility. More space. Better for pizza. [p]Once you and your husband see how it improves your cooking enjoyment, and overall quality of eating, you might end up adding a mini or small for additional space, and travel needs. Y'all are adventuring into highly addictive territory.[p]Again welcome, feel free to give us a yell with any more questions, and once his birthday rolls around, ask him to shout if he has any questions, or if he is just looking for ideas on what to cook.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Mary Kennedy, [p]A hearty welcome to the BGE forum. We are all just like you, past present and future BGE owners. My suggestion is to stay leaned toward the large, but any of the others will be o.k for starters. Small, medium or large.
    You, as many of us have done is to add a second egg eventually, and some have a third and fourth. Ya, we get kinda carried away. Heck, even BGE's competition customers come and buy em..heeee.[p]I would be sure and get the dome thermometer, combination top cap (Slider/Daisy Combo) ash tool, (specific for your size BGE) a Polder thermometer (we can tell ya where) a good supplier of lump charcoal, (BGE is tops and others available) and consider a wood table, if not, then the BGE nest.
    More suggestions to follow depending on where your installing it..Deck, Patio, etc..Let us know how we can help. Cheers and Welcome again.
    C~W[p][p]

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mary Kennedy,[p]The large Egg is what most of us started with and never a regret. With a little experience, you'll find it will easily handle dinner for 1 to 10 people even more. Get ready for some of the best food you've ever had and your neighbors are about to become noticeable more friendly.[p]The good folks on this forum welcome you to the family. We will be here to help you get started and ensure your success.[p]K~G
    [p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    17 seconds seedub. Didn't even see ya comin![p]Nice fill in on the eggcessories.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, That's erieeeeee!! Mental telepathy?? And just seconds apart..We must be on radar control as well..:-)

• Char-Woody
    Options
    Nature Boy, And it's getting even better..heeeeeee.

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Mary Kennedy,
    Be sure to get a cover for it. The weather won't really hurt it but it will keep the dirt and pine sap from collecting on it.
    JimW

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Options
    Mary Kennedy,
    Large is the way to go! Also consider a slide top/daisy wheel, ash tool, grill gripper and electric starter. They're my favorite eggcessories. Egg tables can be built for little more than $60 in material and the plans are available online. Another excellent addition would be a Polder thermometer.
    bd

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    Mary Kennedy, he's going to just bust with excitement. Might as well go for one of each size. Couldn't hurt! Seriously, I have not given a lot of thought to get another egg (except for large crowds of in-laws visiting), but listening to some of the folks here talk about using a smaller one to seer at high heats and having the larger one idling along at normal cooking temps. Now, I must have a small version for seering. That's why I say,, hock the house and get what you want.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mary Kennedy,[p]You've picked the best gift to give to yourself. He gets an EGG and then you cook lots less from then on (and he loves it). The EGG is totally capable of cooking anything from low and slow pulled pork to searing a steak at 800+F. Bread and pizza are quite possible. The hearth baked flavor is fantastic. The EGGs are four season cookers, if you are up to venturing out to use them - they are ready to make cook.[p]They all make great food and the only differences are mobility, food capacity, and burn time on a single load of lump charcoal. The large EGG has the edge in food capacity and will cook even the longest cooks on a single load of lump. The small is the largest EGG that can be transported comfortably. The medium EGG is a nice compromise between the two. The mini EGG is very transportable.[p]I have a large and a small EGG and wouldn't part with either. The large provides the cooker that can do anything. The small offers the ability to cook wherever we go. The combination provides the ability to cook at differing temps and/or smoke flavorings.[p]I recommend the large to start.[p]Spin

• Mary Kennedy,
    There's no way to go but DOWN!
    If you really love the man you'll strt him with the Large Egg. I got mine this past summer and have had soooo much fun! We've done turkeys, ribs, steaks, veggies, fish even a neighborhood tree rat or two. My side-kick Coot had a rack of ribs and the next day went over to our friendly dealer and go hisself a medium Egg. A week or two later he was sobbing in his beer that he should have gotten a Large Egg 'cause he tasted the turkey I had just maple smoked.
    In short, I strongly reccomend the Large Egg. I'm hoping I can get myself a Mini Egg this summer just for giggles.
    Best of luck and have fun.
    Carey