Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fixing leaking roof from inside

Options

roof boards are 1.125 thick redwood and just maybe one small leak, just need to locate it. whats your thoughts on flex seal...roofing tar etc. roof is 40 year old on the top coarse of shingles so its to brittle to get on top to put in a temporary fix. theres tar paper under the two coarses. going tin roof but that would be much later in the year

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    edited April 2019
    Options

Fixing from the inside will likely just send the water farther down until it leaks somewhere else? I have tried flex seal and it does work and seem to stick to a lot of surfaces. I don't know for how long, but it sealed up a little 12' aluminum boat enough to keep your feet dry after a day out for an entire season. It also sealed are milling machine table from leaking coolant through the seams

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options

Around here 40 year old shingles would be trash. See if you can move up the new metal roof sooner. If you wait to long you will develop mold issues inside.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

This Old House?

New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited April 2019
    Options

im thinking of going with the tar and force it in between the spaces all the way up, maybe at the leak and spaces two boards down. hopefully that stops the leak from continuing down stream

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

i really dont know how its not a sprinkler system right now, the original roof shingles underneath are most likely circa 1940 when the house was built. molds not really a concern, the house is built less than 6 feet from the lake, the dirt basement wicks water up, the fog envelopes the whole house spring and fall. i know the attic floor needs to be lifted up tonight and to get the insulation out above the ceiling and i put plastic behind all the interior walls and ceiling 20 years ago. its going to take 3 to 6 months to do what i want to do up there from what ive been quoted before, add windows, insulate the top with a hard foam, the metal, etc. the attic will eventually be bedrooms and bath.

theres alot of roof on the ground right now, yes its trashed

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    edited April 2019
    Options

computer seems to be double clicking today

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

So this is the camp? How about just a layer of tarpaper over existing?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    Options

my house is really a camp, the camp in maine is a house. if it was the one in maine i would just blue tarp it like everyone else. that house also needs a roof in one area but i think i could do that myself, its not that high. the leak is up about 30 feet above a stone patio and im not getting up there

fukahwee maine

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

Ok, I thought house/camp was the other way around. And I was just suggesting a temp fix anyway (thought black would look bettah than blue =).)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options

Had a pretty bad leak from the roof some years ago. Tar did the job, but was applied from above.

Have used flex seal around some windows in the past 2 years. Has worked well so far.

A suggestion for a not so good patch. Squeeze flex seal goop into the leak spot. Maybe carve out some rot 1st. Then use the tape on the inside. The tape grabs like crazy, but the rot will most likely spread from the filled center. Give you a couple of months.

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options

love to see a pic of your camp lodging

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

Where you see the leak might not be where the leak is. With multiple layers, the leak is probably much higher on the roof. Patching from inside will just push the water farther down or to the side and start a new leak. You need to patch from above. If you won't climb up there, find a company with a bucket truck and pay them to do it.

The Flex Seal spray work pretty good. I had a tree fall on a rental house and poke a few smallish holes. one was good size. I sprayed those and they held for about a year before other leaks started. It had 3 layers including original shaker roof.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options

Check your pipe boots fish

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options

all the vent piping is on the other side, but there is an extenal air vent about 6 feet over that is wet on the inside.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

unfortunately theres no way to get a truck down near the house with the way the land slopes, its pretty steep and all the electrical/cable/landlines are in the way. anyattempt to walk on the roof will just do further damage, these shingles are toast.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

after looking at it good last night i think the plan is to make a big drip area, 2x4's for a lip and line it with plastic to catch the rain water and just regularly check on it, remove the water if needed

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options

its the one pictured between me and dad with the stone foundation. first catfish thru the ice, an odd catch and pretty sure it was a state record for the area

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    fukahwee maine

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options

I hope Fish isn't on the Notre Dame revitalization team utilizing this approach.

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options

So blue tarp is out. How about clear so it's less noticeable?

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• fishlessman
    Options

i think this house is in a wind tunnel, ive watched my table umbrella fly 60 feet plus straight up landing behind the neighbors out back

fukahwee maine