Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying something different

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited April 2019 in EggHead Forum

Even though I have egged and enjoyed many spatchcocked yard birds over the.years I wanted to try some combined methods.

So I spatchcocked a free range Cornish game hen. Then after cleaning out the leftover "guts" which you don't realize are left behind without opening it up! Then I prepared a simple brine recipe posted years ago by @ClayQ. It was 2 T of white sugar and 2 T of table salt disolved in 1 pint of cold water for like 30 minutes. Well... I have tried that at 30 minute time and have gone further and further....and now this will be my first 24 hour brine with this particular brine recipe. BTW this will not be my longest brine as I have brined several turkeys for 48 hours with different brine recipes with much success!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Can’t wait for the final outcome. Lot of difference in a small game hen and a turkey. I hope the long brine doesn’t diminish the texture of the meat. If you know what I mean!!!!!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    edited April 2019
    Options

I sure do know what you mean! I have thrown out several yard birds over the past 19 years of which the skin has been akin to a rubber jump suit!

• fiber_induced_deuce
    Options

I miss my rubber jump suits. Too hot and humid in GA for them and you can't get out of them quickly enough when you really need to if you get my drift!!!

And I had no luck selling them on ebay, I just got a bunch of offensive comments.

I still have a chicken suit but it's more feathers than rubber. I guess it's more of a rooster suit if you get my drift!!!

• RRP
    Options

Well - an update. We had a problem arise so that hen will be brining for 36 hours instead and then 10 to 12 hours drying in the refrigerator nekked!