Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To sous...or not

Options

is it really what they claim it to be?

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options

Yes it’s worth it. I bought a cheaper one In case i didn’t like it but it is a nice tool to have

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options

Who are they and what are they saying?

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options

I never thoug I use one , now it is a regular toll for me. Though I don't cook a meal for 2 with it, it is available in my prep work for large cook...hundred plus chi ken thighs or wings, no problem, precook a packed to make quick work for a large amount of burnt ends, no problem

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

I think Sous Vide definitely has a roll in the kitchen--especially, given the lower prices these days. The learning curve for me was in how long to do large pieces of protein. The texture can turn to meal or mush if you leave it in the water bath for too long. An issue easily resolved but just keep in mind that like with anything you'll have to figure out time and temps that suit you--if you purchase one. There are a lot of recipes so this shouldn't take you very long to learn, though.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options

I have one. An Anova. I've got about $100 into it, including the carboy and special lid for it. I use it all the time. Not just for large pieces of meat, although a sous vide try-tip finished on the egg (I like caveman style) is one of my very favorite cooks. Egg bites for breakfasts. Thawing frozen......anything. The ONLY way to make a boneless-skinless chicken breast edible.

So, my answer is yes. If you like to cook and you cook most of your own food, a sous vide is a great device to have. When mine eventually fails, I'll replace it quickly.

Side note: the sous vide ribs ((pork) spare, babyback, loinback, St. Louis)) are a game changer. 10-12 hours at 147, an hour at about 325 in the hot smoke and another 30 minutes after sauce,..........outstanding........better than an of MY (perhaps not everyones) 3-2-1, 2-2-1, four hour or turbos. Truth.

LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options

If it doesn't work out to your liking, and it didn't for me, you can always use it to reheat pulled pork.

It is excellent for reheating.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

Real time saver if you buy meat in quantity and seal it, Foodsaver for many here. A tri-tip can be seasoned and bagged, tossed into the freezer.

Set SV at 135ºF (our preference) drop in the frozen roast and let her bubble for three or four hours. Take it out, drop it on the grill or into a CI pan to sear. Serve.

Alteratively, you can drop the still sealed cooked roast in an ice bath and then leave it in the fridge, overnight is good. Egg the cold cooked roast to add some smoke if you want and serve when you get the crust you like.

Ribs can be done same way, although time is usually up to 18 hours at about 145-150ºF.

Not for every cook, ideal for when you need it. As noted, it is an ideal reheating tool.

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options

For reheating, it's far better to get into SV late in the game, early adopter's like me, bought in when the price was high. I have a Polyscience Sous Vide Professional Chef model.

The Poly Science unit is very expensive to reheat pork with.