Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cracked XL

Options

This is a sad day. Preparing to move and getting the Egg ready, noticed this crack all across the bottom and half way up the back. The place setter cracked a year or so ago but just used a Woo 2 with their stone so no big deal. This is a different story. Called corporate and just got voice mail with a promise to call back but so far, nothing. Also emailed and same there, have heard nothing. I am starting to question the quality overall as I have heard of similar before. I have a lot of money invested in this with many accessories and being just a working senior citizen this is a disappointment as I can't afford to replace it. Now I don't think I can more it from the back yard to the moving trailer let along across the country. Not real happy.

Comments

• Skrullb
    Skrullb Posts: 666
    Options

My XL cracked across the bottom and I sent an email to the store I bought it from and had a new one within maybe 3 weeks. Hang in there, they’ll take care of you.

I'm in Fredericksburg, VA, and I have an XL and a medium. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

Go to a local dealer for the warranty and you will be fine. I have an XL and have had to replace the base twice in 5 years. If I had to do it again, I would have bought the large which doesn't seem to have this issue.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options

Contact your dealer. The mothership should be the last place you contact.

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options

I’ve broken an XL before. It wasn’t an egg though, but I assure you we share the same initial gut feeling.

NW IOWA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

Corporate does not handle warranty claims in the first responder role. They play supplemental to the dealers. Check with a local dealer. It will be taken care of for you.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Yep. If you still have the receipt I would recommend sending it along with your pics in an Email to a local dealer. Then maybe follow it up with a phone call. (I wouldn't haul it to the dealer unless and until I was asked to do so.)

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options

looks like it has been broken for awhile!

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• cookingdude555
    Options

Agreed, the crack has been there a while. Cracks are only a problem when noticed.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options

with the exception of high heat cooks I wouldn’t make pizza with a cracked base

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

This is why I don’t have eggs anymore. What a stupid business decision to put your companies name in the hands on its dealer network. As we’ve seen time and time again the dealer network sucks half the time or more and even more often than that people are used to getting warranty coverage from the manufacturer. If you still have proof of purchase you are fine BGE will cover you I have hadn’t 4 bases crack but luckily I am 30 minutes from head quarters and they give you a new one quickly. Check into the Weber summit charcoal or a KJ where they don’t pass the warranty on to a dealer network.

• cookingdude555
    Options

Sorry you’ve had troubles @Lit , I’ve had great responsiveness from my dealer, and from Bruce at corporate when I had to go to him because my first dealer disappeared. The Weber summit charcoal grill is great. I have an earlier predecessor in the bubba keg grill. Its about nine years old, and there are some parts starting to rust. Eventually it will give way. The Weber has a ten year warranty (on some parts), I expect it would hold up at least that long. I do have a problem with a $2000 grill only having a warranty of 2, 5, or 10 years, depending on what breaks. I’m a huge Weber fan, have several of them. I just think it’s a tad bit overpriced. My last XL I bought a year ago was $1100 out the door with a nest. The price kept me bge loyal, even tho the Weber was on my short list. The KJ was the same, more money.

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    Options

sorry to hear about your problems. I hope they get resolved for you.

This brings up a bit of a worry for me. I live in a small town. The dealer I bought my egg from several years is going out of business. When that happens and I have warranty issues who do you guys recommend I deal with? Corporate? Another regional store/dealer?

gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options

Here is the latest update. The dealer I Bought from ( the Mill Market in Hawley, Pa) no longer carries the Egg and refuses to even return my phone calls. As it turns out, they were to send in and do all registration work when we bought it. It doesn't look like they did. I don't what happened to the as they were to give to us when they delivered it but forgot it and said they would send it. They never did. It was bought with a credit card so there must be a trail somewhere but that was a while ago (2014 or 2015). I might be hosed

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options

You should be able to contact credit card company for proof of purchase. Sorry to hear your dealer is treating you like that. I’ve had one warranty claim. Literally emailed pic to dealer, 7 days later, problem solved

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options

Your best bet is get ahold of Bruce the warranty guy at BGE and tell him what you posted above.

• Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options

Thanks everyone, you folks are the best there is.

• BAmaniac
    BAmaniac Posts: 12
    edited April 2019
    Options

I also had to make a warranty claim on an unregistered egg (medium) and BGE blew me away. They will take care of you. I bought my medium egg maybe 20 years ago when the only place you could get one was in Atlanta Clairmont Road (?). No registration anywhere. Ancient egg.

My problem Started with cracked firebox. Took a pic of cracked box and local dealer, that I’ve never dealt with, sent in my request and BGE replaced firebox for free. Not long after, the fire ring cracked. Again, BGE replaced for free. They had NO record of my purchase since it was so long ago. However, since my medium egg was so old, the internal diameter of the base has changed and new fire ring would not fit in the old base. Solution, BGE replaced the top and bottom of my egg. Amazing service.

XL BGE, Medium BGE, Traeger

• BAmaniac
    BAmaniac Posts: 12
    Options

XL BGE, Medium BGE, Traeger

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

My dealer had me take a pic of the crack (dome), and the date stamp inside the dome (at the rear). Sent those to BGE and they sent a new dome with regular store order.