Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - (only a little) The Waffle House way of cooking an omelet.

Options
Hub
Hub Posts: 927

I've been low carbing for a while, but have been very unhappy when cooking my own omelets at home. Then I found a YouTube video that changed that. $19.99 later and I was making the best omelets of my life. (milk shake mixer) Putting air into the eggs seems to make all the difference in the world. Ok, so this guy is a bit weird, but his omelet advice is gold! Thoughts?

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options

Thank You! I'm assuming this was in response to my milkshake mixer question on another thread.

Helluva lot of butter to cook this thing, that can't help but make the omelette taste better. I've done a few "french" omelettes, whisking for a long time to get a foamy consistency in the eggs.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options

It was indeed Botch, but I felt it relevant enough to share with everyone. To be perfectly honest, my at home omelets have sucked, until I found this video, and now my omelets are really good. I'm not sure about his advice about seasoning your pan, but the part about adding air to the eggs is absolutely gold.

Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options

"It's all about presentation" (at Waffle House)

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options

A lot of things at WH start with a big scoop of butter or oil. I am still working on trying to duplicate their Hash Browns (scattered & smothered) on my Blackstone.

Raleigh, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options

You can also just put your eggs in one of those cheapie nutritional shake containers that has a wire or plastic ball or something like that bouncing around inside to mix up your favorite ‘roid blend.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options

...and you get another workout shaking it.

*stick to your schedule for arms day

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited April 2019
    Options

This is like the Wiki-leaks of Waffle house - awesome find. I hope he does one next for Bert's Chili or Hashbrowns.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options

3 eggs, 2 TB water, 1 TB pancake batter. Loaded properly, big enough for two old folks like us to share.

Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options

In my opinion, all you need to add to the beaten eggs are butter and SOUR CREAM. Whether you are making scrambled eggs or an omelet, the sour cream will make the eggs fluffy and perfect. Would be interested to see how they would be with your mixer....let us know?

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SonVolt
    Options

I get some pretty big air just using a mason jar as a shaker. Pops right in the dishwasher too.

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options

Separately whipping the whites (into some stiff peaks just like a good shaving lather) and yolks (until creamy) and gently folding together can make an interesting fluffy pillow like omelette.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• 55Kevy
    55Kevy Posts: 234
    Options

I've found that a whisk and some elbow grease does the trick.

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
    XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 901
    Options

The key thing for me (besides plenty of butter, of course) is beating the crap out of the eggs so they're very loose and runny. I think that's a big part of what is sometimes called the French way of making an omelette. Also, you don't want the pan to get too hot -- just medium heat under it.

Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

totally agree about the pan temperature. Medium-low on my stove.

NOLA
  • SonVolt
    Options

Can’t do medium low unless you’re using a non stick pan, generally speaking. For a bare ass aluminum skillet like Waffle House uses, high heat is a must.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options

I cook my omelettes in a non-stick (T-Fal) pan, but using two different methods. Sometimes I pour the egg in (2 eggs with a bit of water), cover, and don't touch until the top has no liquid, add toppings, and fold; this gives you a lightly-browned bottom, which isn't traditional at all but I like it.

Other times, I'll pour in the same, and scrape it around with a spatula until its mostly congealed, cover again 30 secs or so, add the fillings, fold. These are a bit fluffier, with no browning, prolly more traditional.

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options

Has anyone experimented with sous vide omelets? I have not. Just curious.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options

Made this for the weekend on Blackstone. Hash browns with onions and green peppers. Scrambled eggs w/onions, green peppers, and cheddar cheese. Sausage links.

Will try omelets next weekend!

• SonVolt
    Options

Over the years I've settled on the high-heat carbon steel route using olive oil. The EVOO seems less greasy/rich than butter... and I don't have to have a small non-stick pan taking up space anymore.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options

I think the reason for so many different opinions above, like higher heat or lower heat, beat a lot or not beat much, etc., is that there isn't one "best" omelette. There are different types of omelettes, each of which requires different techniques, and we all have different tastes in what we like. The "best" omelette is the one YOU like best!

The classic French omelette cooks in seconds, a minute, maybe, on medium-high heat, with much stirring with a fork and shaking the pan, moving the eggs around FAST on that hot pan so they cook evenly and don't get rubbery.

Jaques Pepin has a video on YouTube where he cooks that kind, but first he cooks what he calls a French "country-style" omelette that is the type I've seen many time in restaurants, and that I make, sometimes. He likes them custardy, or even "a little wet" in the middle. Not for everyone's taste. But in the latter part of the video, he also cooks the first type, a French classic omelet, and it's wonderful. I don't have the technique to pull that off!

And a French "soufflé-style" omelette is a little bit like what the Waffle House guy is attempting, where you beat the eggs a long time with a wire whisk to get a lot of air in them, practically turning them into foam, but then you cook them on a much lower heat for a longer time. The Waffle House guy seems to sort of combine these, starting out hot, but then lowering the heat and cooking it longer. I can't say his appealed to me, much, but I admit I've never had one. Maybe they're great.