Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BMW Owners OT

g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025

So I’m looking at purchasing a used vehicle. I test drove a used 2014 BMW 750Li xdrive and feel in love. It was out of my price range for a car that’s 5 years old. I have found several 2010-2012 under 60k miles that’s more affordable. My question is how expensive is the upkeep? I’m just looking for a sedan that’s a little bit bigger then the Nissan Maxima I was driving. It was a great car but I wanted something a little larger. My wife has a Yukon XL so I don’t really want another SUV or 4x4. Thanks.

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    edited April 2019

Just my impression, with Bmw the cost of maintenance/repair can vary substantially from model to model, year to year, even car to car. You could have a winner, or you could have a big loser.

My experience is limited to driving a 2013, one of the least expensive models, for abut 4 years. Mine, I love it, but the forums are full of horror stories.

Do some reading here. https://www.7post.com/forums/

Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

Not a BMW owner but just got rid of the number 3 most expensive care to maintain. Mercedes. Guess what I’ve read is #2. BMW.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

I’ve owned a couple and they were good when new. After 5 years diminishing return.

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer

This is what I have been reading. I’m the GM of a Peterbilt dealership and the going rate on diesel labor is $140 an hour. I think I’m going to stick with a GM or a Ford because if I have to spend $1000s in repairs I will stroke out.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

I owned (key word-read on) a second hand 2001 BMW 540i (V-8; sport with a 6 speed). Got it off a lease in 2003 with just under 20k on the clock. Drove it until this past Jan and it had 185k on the clock when a major engine disaster did enough destruction to merit selling to a mechanic who could likely salvage the car. I just pulled the maintenance file and I averaged around $1600/year. In the main, the drive train and transmission are bullet-proof (I shoulda been able to get into the 250k range easy). All transmission parts were original and no slippage. You would likely see some pricy scheduled maintenance at around 100k and suspension rework around 125-130K.

I clearly wasn't in the 750 league but then I likely drove it more aggressively than would a 750. BTW- from my recollection that 750 is quite a bit larger than your Nissan and they seem to get bigger every year. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2019

Not sure your age, net worth nor expenses ahead of you with present rug rats heading to college, BUT I had wanted to be driving a Mercedes by age 40 if Iquit my 3.5 pack of Marlboros per day.

My story is this. I quit the cig habit and bought my first used MB a a reward to myself! Yes it was a used one but it got my foot in the door.for moving on up. Two trade ins later in the next 10 years I brought myself the level of stepping on up to buying a brand new 300E in 1999. I'm still driving that MB and it only has 65K of my miles - not some one else's.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • g8golfer

For the money I’m going to spend on a car that’s 6-8 years old I could get a fairly new GM Ford Nissan Toyota. I sold my Nissan Maxima because I wanted a new truck for the size. Then when I went to purchase a new Chevy Silverado I almost had a heart attack at the price tag and I backed out. So now I’m back at square 1 again. To be honest i should have kept the Maxima.

• g8golfer

I just turned 34. My wife is going to give birth at the first of July. We will have 2 kids so that’s the reason I wanted something with a bigger back seat. Another down fall is I’m 2 hours to the closet BMW dealership. I think the BMW just might be more then I need.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited April 2019

The upkeep alone is insane but the risk of huge repairs is why they depreciate so quickly. If you do it, spend the $5k on the extended warranty- you will likely come out way ahead and its insurance against a $20,000 repair.

I bought my wife a 2011 Mercedes E550 coming off a lease with 30,000 miles on it in 2014. Sticker was $72k and a I paid $37. I promised myself I would never have a German car outside warranty so I paid another $4k for the extended warranty. I spent over $14,000 on repairs (under warranty) in 3 years and thousands more in scheduled maintenance and tires

The reason these cars depreciate so fast (and you can get a great deal on them) is that they are so expensive to fix. Her car has $20,000 air ride Suspension- $11,000 of the repairs were for that. That happened with under 50,000 miles. A freaking oil change is $250 and it’s $300 to put in a new battery (we have gone through 4). Tires are $250-$500 a piece and they last about 25k miles. The outlay of cash never ends and the risk of a $20,000 out of warranty repair is very real. We loved the car but we wouldn’t do it again. Warranty is up and she is up for sale.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Cen-Tex's story aligns with what I have seen. I bought an Audi A8 used, third owner, and I should have known better. sticker on it was 74k, I got it for 10k. Most complex car made to date. All aluminum. Put the wrong fastener in it and it turns the chassis into a battery. Fun While it lasted, big V8 quattro, but I burned out repairing it. Guy I bought it from gave me receipts for about 10k a year in repairs. What was I thinking?

Man that stinks but I appreciate the advice. I knew coming on the forum page would lead me in the right direction.

• g8golfer

We have a Yukon XL and it’s a nice ride. Bought it used 1 owner with 30k miles and it has 100k mile warranty. No issues so far after 1 year. I wouldn’t mind a Tahoe for myself but they are outrageous. I think I’m going to go back to a Maxima, Avalon, or the new Impala. All 3 of these are easy to come by and cheap to work on.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174

And here I was pi$$ed I only got 15+ years and a total of 185K at a reasonable annual repair bill. And for a sedan that thing was fun to drive. Fastest I ever got with it was 140 mph but that was a while ago. Clearly I was much better than lucky.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Indeed. Plus they only get more and more complex. you got a good vintage.

We had 2 X3s and they were no problem at all, great cars. But then again we just kept them for 5 years each from new.

• I have advised all my friends that liked my car not to do it but if they really wanted to anyway to either lease a new one or pony up for the warranty. So far none of them have done it. I’ve had my gmc pickup for 2.5 years and spent zero dollars on unscheduled maintenance or tires. That has been refreshing.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • g8golfer

I had a 2015 Chevy 1500 LTZ and loved it. Zero maintenance in the 2 years i had it other then oil change. My wife talked me into selling it and buying the Yukon XL which I agreed and it’s been a good purchase. I want a truck bad but do I want one bad enough to spend 35-40k. Used is 35k and brand new is 43k.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

you should do as Ron says and definitely quit smoking with kids that young

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104

Buddy had a BMW, but did complain about service and maintenance costs. He traded it off at 30k miles.

i had a Mercedes SLK, but did my own repairs and oil changes. Car ran like a “bat out of hell” and was a blast to drive. Sold it to a 19 year old gal (60k miles), and she has been driving to college for 4 years. I know a family near me that have 4 Mercedes in the driveway, and that’s all they will buy!

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286

My diesel VW was expensive enough to maintain. Imagine having to go the dealer to pick up a quart of oil? I might try them again when they have their new electric cars for sale.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945

You should look at Used Bentleys. They can be had for ten cents on the dollar.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • There’s a reason used BMWs can be had for a good price.

Against my advice, my brother in law picked up a used 5 series many years ago. Within a couple months, he sold it for a significant loss after having had a series of expensive repairs to deal with. The smile on his face literally wore off within a few weeks of ownership. It was the same story for a friend who bought a used Audi with a 2.7T.

A lot of owners make the wise move of selling at or just prior to the point at which repairs are expected.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128

Hard to beat a Lexus....

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932

I have a 535d with the M-tires and suspension that I love, just went out of warranty. Same as above, great price used. Wife wants me to sell it now that it's out warranty, nothing wrong yet! 😬

But! I get 36mpg, and it's fast as heck, and gets 550 miles per tank. Love the turbo diesel engine.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532

Never buy a German car, you wont want to afford the upkeep/repairs. I would only suggest leasing a new German car. We’ve had a 5 series, e class and an S4 all leases with included service. My wife’s new car is a CTS-V and the breaks were astronomical and the oil changes are in excess of $175.00. Tires are 375 each and suck bc at 15-20k it’s time to replace them.

Truth is but another Nissan they make a good product and are cheap and easy to repair. Best of luck on the new car

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532

I agree, I loved they way they looked and road, but my wife hated the ride. She said it was like driving a sofa. Not sure why that would be a bad thing...it was honestly the most comfortable care I’ve ever driven.

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597

if you have to ask how much it will cost you cant afford it :-)

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597

Get a f-150 King Ranch.

South of Columbus, Ohio.