Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Chix - techniques?

55Kevy
55Kevy Posts: 234

I plan to use up some buttermilk SWMBO bought for baking by doing buttermilk-brined chix thighs. I reread this thread https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216510/buttermilk-chicken/p1 for inspiration and ended up with questions. For those of you who do thighs in this manner what:

• Temp do you run at? 400, 450, other?
  • Direct or indirect, and raised how far?

I was thinking of doing them (this is in an xl) raised on the AR into the dome maybe in a steel paella pan. Or I could go indirect and put them on the gird. Thoughts?

Kevin

Beautiful Santa Ynez Valley, CA
XL BGE, Woo2, AR

Comments

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843

i do a lot of chicken thighs with buttermilk brine its the best way to go. buttermilk brine over night, rinse, pat dry then cover in rub of your choice (lanes bbq SPF 53 is a favorite of mine), then grill raised direct 400 for about 20-30 minutes. the height is at the felt line for me and it works great. you can flip if you want or leave them one side the whole time and the bottom will get a slight char. cook to 165ish internal, pull and serve.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

I would say to cook it like you normally like your chicken cooked. This way you will know if the Buttermilk soak helped.

As @Kent8621 said, make sure you pat it as dry as you can or you will not get much crust or crispy skin. I have only done this once and I did not rinse the Buttermilk, just pat as dry as I could then added seasoning. I think I soaked for 6-7 hours. Did not notice much of a change. Overnight might be the key.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

I think you will see the biggest change in the breast meat. It will be more juicy. Hard to cook a non juicy thigh.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

You can also make your own buttermilk with a combo of milk and white vinegar. I haven't done that, so I can't comment other than that.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427

Ironically the Cook's Country sample issue I have has a buttermilk chicken brine:

2 cups buttermilk

1/4 cup sour cream

2 Tblspns Ranch dressing mix (which is mostly buttermilk powder)

1 Tblspn salt

They only called for brining 30-60 minutes (would be good on a weeknight). FWIW.

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• 55Kevy

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm doing them tonight, raised direct 400F (or where the egg decides to settle in). They've been swimming in a revised Bobby Flay buttermilk bath since yesterday evening. I'll post pics (if I remember).

Kevin

XL BGE, Woo2, AR

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179

Pics please, or at least a recap of how it turned out.

DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • 55Kevy

Well, I forgot to take any pics, so it didn't really happen. However, they were very tasty and cumin and turmeric came through pretty well. Of course, as @Mattman3969 said above it's hard to ruin thighs, so next time I'll use breasts. I 'squeegeed' the brine off with my fingers and still got decently crispy skin by flipping 'em skin-side down for the last 5 min. The egg settled in at 400F and the cook took about 40 min.

Kevin

XL BGE, Woo2, AR