Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra grids f/Large and Mini

Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been knocking around the local HomeBase and HomeDepot, looking at the Weber accessories, from which to fashion a "stacking" setup that so many of you use, for multiple cooks, jerky, etc. The only thing I can find, are the bottom grids that actually hold the briquets, and these seem to be more stout than the chrome grills you set the meat on, but are nickel plated. Can these be used for putting your food on? Or is there a better source to check for the less expensive-than-BGE alternatives for augmenting my setup and capacity??? Thanks, fellow Eggmeisters!!

Comments

• Big Murth,[p] I picked up a Weber 18.5" grid at Wal*Mart. Works just fine on the BGE. I normally use it as a bottom grid for indirect cooks. I put the firebricks on the Weber grid over the fire, then put the BGE grid on top and put the meat on the BGE grid.[p]MikeO
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    turkey11.jpg
    <p />Big Murth,
    Here is what I use, it's a Webber 18" (I think) with handles on each side to make lifting in and out easy. I am dry testing the setup here in the picture. The grid has 3 firebricks, drip pan, V-rack and two turkey breasts. [p]Tim

• Orio Kid
    Orio Kid Posts: 87
    Tim M,
    What type of rub are you using on those birds? It seems to me thatit might leave a tough, chewy texture for a crust.
    Jake

• Big Murth
    Big Murth Posts: 350
    Tim M,
    Great visual input, as usual!!!! That looks like a great way to get a lot done. One question remains: Can I put foodstuffs directly on the nickel-plated briquet grids--that might fit quite well on my Egg, but...however...might be akin to a slow and painful poisonous death...kind of like lead poisoning, etc., if my food is in contact with the wrong elements! I especially appreciate your technical expertise in these matters, and absolve you of any inherent liability, if somehow, the EPA or FDA, or even the FBI (Female Barbeque Institute), get involved.

• Tim M
    Orio Kid,

Good one! It was a mixture of poly and propelyene applied at high temps and allowed to cool to a fine film.[p]Tim - still laughing

• Tim M
    Big Murth,[p]Whew, I have no idea if cooking on nickle-plated grids would be hazardous to ones health. Since Webber and most evey other BBQ grill maker from across the ocean(as well as those here) use nickle plated grids it would be hard for Johnny Cockran (sp? ask OJ how to spell scum ball) to prove which one actually killed you.[p]I joke ofcourse. No idea if those are in any way harmfull -- I hope not since I use one - rust covered - so I get more iron in my diet. :-0[p]Tim
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Big Murth,
    FBI...LOL, I will have to remember that one..as that would have to be the #1 governinig body at our dinner table...still laughin..[p]Wess

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Orio Kid,
    It really seals in the juices though.