Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Project

I purchased an old mini from a craigslist posting yesterday and need some advice or suggestions on improving the condition of the new addition to the family. I do wish we had a sub-forum dedicated to the general maintenance and repair of our Eggs.It seems as though I would need to open an EGGdozen browser tabs in order to view all the great posts here.

In general this mini appears to have served it's owner(s) well over the many years since it was new. It has the old style handle and bands with hinged arms to raise and lower the top. The nuts and bolts have been replaced several years ago, and I may replace again if I keep the original bands and re-align the top to bottom. My guess is that the seal was never replaced, as it appears to be so badly degraded that there is little left. 

I am concerned about a 1.75 x 0.5 chip at the top of the chimney. I know not to attempt to paint the chip, but is there any thing that I can do about it?  
There was no chimney cap or daisy wheel with the mini. I have a medium EGG, also a cragslist find, that the owner had used a piece of felt seal to wrap near the chimney top so the cap or wheel fits snugly (next pic). Is this a common practice? I know if I bought a new cap the color of the new is a definite darker green than was used when this mini was made. A daisy wheel however would though maintain the authentic appearance. 
(Medium chimney)

The thermometer will be replace. I think the wooden handle is original but not sure about the chrome bar for the handle. The bottom vent was likely re-painted and is now rusting through.

The ceramic fire box, ring, and grate are in very good condition. No where on these 3 pieces is the BigGreenEgg imprint, only Mexico which I think was the way when manufactured. 

I would appreciate any guidance offered on my project. Below is a list of things I need to consider.

1. What should I do regarding the chip on the chimney?
  2. Should I use a Rutland gasket on my mini? The instructions on nakedwiz appear to by very thorough. However the instructions are for a large or xl, suggesting the 5/8" flat gasket. I'm concerned that it may be to wide for the mini, hanging in to the chamber or outside the egg.
  3. The bottom vent needs either cleaned and re-painted or replaced. Is there a semi-gloss high-heat paint that works well? Or will a new vent even fit the old model?
  4. I could use a link to good instructions on re-aligning the top and bottom.
  5. Although the old bands will suffice, I do like the hinge on the back in order to open all the way. Is it worth the cost to go new, and does anyone know what the current price is for mini bands?
  6. I also need to get a carrier or something similar.  I was looking at the portable nest for the MiniMax. Is this nest purchased separately from the carrier and would it work with the Mini?

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I can only comment on 2,4 and 6 

1 -the mini doesn’t need a gasket at all nor do any of the other eggs.  My mini is 5yrs old with about 1/2 of a gasket left.  It a high heat cooker mostly.   If you catch it quick enough you can do low heat. 

4 - your bands should have slotted bolt holes to let you adjust.  Don’t get to anal about it because the mini is hot cooker and the seal doesn’t matter much.  

6 - bge sells a carrier that is pretty sweet 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    I refurbished an older mini years ago. Here's a couple pics. I can't find my original post on it. 

I believe the circumference on the newer Minis are larger than the older style minis. Making the new style band too big. I think they're like $120+ if they did fit. Ouch. 

I used a Rutland on mine.

Fun project you have!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I may have an extra cast iron top. Where are located?
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    I'll offer up a few comments, I have a similar vintage Mini, same hinge but with only one support on the left side. Handle is the same as what you have there, but my vent door is SS, not sure if I've ever seen one in painted metal.

1- The chip is no big deal, if it bugs you paint it. A new Smokeware top would look nice on there and cover your chip. You wouldn't need a daisy wheel or ceramic top.
    2- A new gasket can be found here. @RRP has helped many of us.
    3- A new bottom vent may be your best option.
    4- If you go with a gasket from Ron, Instructions will be provided.
    5- Remove, sand, paint and replace.
    6- I still run the original 3 legged hoop, others will say never to do that but it's  worked for me.

just my 2 cents.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • td66snrf said:
    I may have an extra cast iron top. Where are located?
    Suburb of Phoenix Arizona, USA
  • WeberWho said:
    I refurbished an older mini years ago. Here's a couple pics. I can't find my original post on it. 

I believe the circumference on the newer Minis are larger than the older style minis. Making the new style band too big. I think they're like $120+ if they did fit. Ouch. 

Fun project you have!
    I don't believe that I'll paint. But I definitely admire the finish on your mini. Thank you for the feedback. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho said:

Fun project you have!
    I don't believe that I'll paint. But I definitely admire the finish on your mini. Thank you for the feedback. 
    Your band looks to be in much better shape than mine did originally. Since I was painting the band I decided to go ahead and paint the lower vent. I'd go with a new stainless vent if I were you if needing a new lower vent. Plus it comes with a spark guard. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I had a warranty base, box, and ring for my mini.  I finally got around to replacing them and decided just to buy the remaining parts.  Its an expensive desk ornament, but its at my office, cracks and all:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216863/the-mini-is-new-again

I think I paid $120 for a new dome, and maybe another $200 for everything else (cap, daisy wheel, bands, and carrier).  It was less than a new mini, but everything is brand new.  Its a good advertisement for BGE, everyone that comes to my desk wants to know what the heck that little grill is.  I think the old minis are cool, they are just a little more mini than the newer minis, if that makes sense.

You can see how tight the new bands have to be on the older, smaller dome size.  I will look to see if I can find my old scissor lift bands that came with it.  I have no use for them and you can have them, if they still exist somewhere in storage.
  • cookingdude555
    @WeberWho, did you paint the base and dome too?  If so, what did you use?  I have considered painting one of my eggs black for fun.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I was hoping to see a nice 60s Mini Cooper being restored.
  • tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    @WeberWho, did you paint the base and dome too?  If so, what did you use?  I have considered painting one of my eggs black for fun.

Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • WeberWho
    @cookingdude555

Just the band and lower vent. I've seen some cool custom painted eggs online though. 

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    @tenpenny_05, thats a cool looking paint job on the mini wsm you have there.  @WeberWho, I wonder if BGE would try to void a warranty claim if it was every painted.  I suppose I could paint the work mini since it doesn't have a warranty, since they already provided me warranty parts to make my new mini.  Not sure the work mini will ever see any more action than just looking pretty on the desk.
  • WeberWho
    @tenpenny_05, thats a cool looking paint job on the mini wsm you have there.  @WeberWho, I wonder if BGE would try to void a warranty claim if it was every painted.  I suppose I could paint the work mini since it doesn't have a warranty, since they already provided me warranty parts to make my new mini.  Not sure the work mini will ever see any more action than just looking pretty on the desk.
    I think part of it would be your dealer. What kind of relationship do you have with your dealer? Would they care for warranty work? I'd be hard pressed to do it with any type of warranty. 

The one guy here had a black painted BGE chiminea. He was able to remove the black paint. I suppose you could paint it and remove the paint for any warranty work of need be. Not sure if it's worth the effort though.

Minnesota
  • cookingdude555
    Yeah you’re probably right. I still like the black kamado look. I was surprised when KJ went to straight red instead of offering black as well.