Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon and sourdough

To steal a title from @SciAggie's adjacent "Pastrami and sourdough" post...

I put 35 lbs of bacon into a dry cure a week ago. Rinsed and soaked overnight. Into the egg this morning with cherry and peach wood over Rockwood coals at 250. 

Then I figured, since I'm going to be home all day swapping out bacon slabs in the egg, might as well make a few loaves of sourdough using my starter from @blind99 Bob Doughlan:

Finished pics coming at the end of the day! Thinking I'll need to buy some fresh tomatoes and mozzarella and make a nice BLT for dinner...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    You had me at bacon.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• Brason
    Brason Posts: 330
    Wow! Just Wow!
    Cheers,

Jason

Orange County- CA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    I need a moment...

Just awesome
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    JacksDad said:

Had to try a few strips...

Manna from above.  Strong work my friend.
    I am currently working through a difficult spell waiting for a set of CI skillets I have requested as a gift.  You have captured my ambition right here.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,716
    Mighty fine job!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• JacksDad
    edited March 2019

Thanks everyone. It was a nice Saturday. My 12 year old loved helping me out, mostly because I let him stay up until 11 pm, I think. 

We vacuum sealed 35 lbs of bacon into 8 oz bags. Some loss with trimming etc, but we got through it all in less than three hours. 

Now we will be delivering to friends and family and neighbors on Sunday night. Why? Just because! 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• 20stone
    JacksDad said:

Thanks everyone. It was a nice Saturday. My 12 year old loved helping me out, mostly because I let him stay up until 11 pm, I think. 

We vacuum sealed 35 lbs of bacon into 8 oz bags. Some loss with trimming etc, but we got through it all in less than three hours. 

Now we will be delivering to friends and family and neighbors on Sunday night. Why? Just because! 

Something that might appeal to you - If you have the Forkish book, there is a "pain au bacon" recipe, so you can have bacon IN the bread as well as ON the bread.

https://bewitchingkitchen.com/2014/12/23/ken-forkishs-pain-au-bacon/

Again, great post.
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    BLT material for sure! Nice work :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Wow that’s a lot of bacon! Awesome looking bread, too!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Nice looking cook! 

How does one get started with sourdough bread?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 20stone
    Nice looking cook! 

You might read through this, and, perhaps there is an egghead that can share some goo with you. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206737/wild-yeast
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    Nice looking cook! 

You might read through this, and, perhaps there is an egghead that can share some goo with you. 

Thank You!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 20stone
    20stone said:
    Nice looking cook! 

Thank You!
    ...and, to be clear, I can send you some if you don’t have someone closer. It appears that @blind99 has mastered the dehydration/reanimation process, and, perhaps, @caliking will have some of his drying batch to spare. PM me if you need some goo, but aren’t in a hurry. You can buy goo online, but getting it from a friend (or, at least, another egghead) is part of the fun of the sourcult. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    20stone said:
    Nice looking cook! 

Thank You!
    ...and, to be clear, I can send you some if you don’t have someone closer. It appears that @blind99 has mastered the dehydration/reanimation process, and, perhaps, @caliking will have some of his drying batch to spare. PM me if you need some goo, but aren’t in a hurry. You can buy goo online, but getting it from a friend (or, at least, another egghead) is part of the fun of the sourcult. 
    Thanks . . . very generous of you and I appreciate your offer but I don't what to be a burden.  Think I'll try it from scratch and see how bad I can do. 
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited March 2019
    That’s some good eats right there. Well done.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JacksDad

Thanks again! 

@marysvilleksegghead I knew basically nothing about bread two months ago. Bought a book and did a lot of reading on this site (which is a gold mine of information and friendly people). Then I just started making it. Unlike lots of other recipes, (in my limited experience) even if you don't nail a recipe, the bread still turns out pretty delicious regardless. Add long as you aren't trying some fancy technical recipe. 

I did get my sourdough starter from people on here, and I'd be happy to share also. But even to just get started baking, using commercial yeast and beer for some of the liquid produced amazing results for me. I got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen "Bread Illustrated"'

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad

Ended up with 50 packages at 10 oz each. Bought a label maker for fun...

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad said:

Thanks again! 

@marysvilleksegghead I knew basically nothing about bread two months ago. Bought a book and did a lot of reading on this site (which is a gold mine of information and friendly people). Then I just started making it. Unlike lots of other recipes, (in my limited experience) even if you don't nail a recipe, the bread still turns out pretty delicious regardless. Add long as you aren't trying some fancy technical recipe. 

I did get my sourdough starter from people on here, and I'd be happy to share also. But even to just get started baking, using commercial yeast and beer for some of the liquid produced amazing results for me. I got the recipe from America's Test Kitchen "Bread Illustrated"'

What book did you buy and did it help you enough?
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • JacksDad
    America's Test Kitchen "Bread Illustrated"'

One of their first recipes is called "artisan bread" and it's super easy, with commercial yeast. 

As others have noted, sometimes the hardest part about baking is the timing -- you have to plan ahead for the rising time etc. But the good news is that the recipes are really just  guidelines, and flexibility is part of the process. 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• JacksDad said:
    America's Test Kitchen "Bread Illustrated"'

One of their first recipes is called "artisan bread" and it's super easy, with commercial yeast. 

As others have noted, sometimes the hardest part about baking is the timing -- you have to plan ahead for the rising time etc. But the good news is that the recipes are really just  guidelines, and flexibility is part of the process. 

Thank You . . . ordered the book . . . will have to see how I do  lol
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • 20stone
    edited March 2019
    Here are a few, w my thoughts:
    Good luck!
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    20stone said:
    20stone said:
    Nice looking cook! 

Thank You!
    @20stone I think i mentioned it to you offline, but for everyone else's reference, the process i used was from king arthur flour.  very easy!  we should probably drop this link over in the wild yeast thread as well.

https://blog.kingarthurflour.com/2015/05/01/putting-sourdough-starter-hold/

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle