Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

65 lbs of BBQ in one large egg.

I get asked how much meat will fit in a large egg all of the time so now I have a good answer. Going to a potluck wedding reception tomorrow and this is my contribution. I’ll keep you posted as the cook progresses. Long time viewer but first time starting a thread. Pictures loaded in the wrong order but you get the idea  
Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 

Comments

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    Following..........
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great undertaking.  You will win the best pot-luck contribution prize-no contest. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    That is an awesome job filling up your Large. Just hope you don't need to reload lump during the cook. Enjoy the air sandwich you will be creating.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Cheering for you and thinking that’s a lot of fat rendering and nothing to catch it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,894
    @Dobie - pictures 2-4 show AI covered pan on woo rig. Not sure if that will be enough to capture all the drippings but @EGGHEAD83 did think about that.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited March 2019
    That’s a lot of butt mass...going to burn quite a bit of lump getting it all up to temp.  I doubt my XL could get it all done without reloading fuel.  And yes there will be a lot of fat (2 qts +/-) rendering off that amount of pork.
  • EGGHEAD83
    EGGHEAD83 Posts: 61
    I did think about the fat drippings after some research on here. Hoping that at 250 degrees it won’t cause much of a problem. I’ll be up enjoying adult beverages all night so a quick reload shouldn’t be a problem if it comes to that. By the way, that’s not a wood ring. It’s a spider under an eggspander. @tarheelmatt will appreciate this. This is what we talked about in your YouTube comments a while back.  All is well so far. Two butts and six shoulders on the way. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    May the Force be with You!
    Incredible undertaking  
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NOICE!! Gonna be some happy folk...
    Wobbly pops to ya!

Chris
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    @EGGHEAD83 whats the size next to the Large?  Get that one fired up to!
    O-Town, FL

• JMCXL
    JMCXL Posts: 1,524
    Great looking cook, thanks for sharing
    Northern New Jersey
     XL - Woo2, AR      L (2) - Woo, PS Woo     MM (2) - Woo       MINI

Check out https://www.grillingwithpapaj.com for some fun and more Grilling with Papa (incase you haven't gotten enough of me)

Also, check out my YouTube Page
    https://www.youtube.com/c/grillingwithpapaj

Follow me on Facebook 
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingPapaJ/

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Great work, and I look forward to seeing how this goes! 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • EGGHEAD83
    @ewyllins funny you mention that. It’s a small. Just cooked some burgers and dogs a few minutes ago. Got to stay fueled up for tonight. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Give us a dome shot of the large.  I bet them things are tight 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    Impressive cook, thanks for posting the pics, excited to see how this goes.  I did a 9 lb butt on my medium last night.  You win.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Pork Tetris.  Looking forward to the results and thanks for posting. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Impressive ! Watch the dome Thermo stem
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • EGGHEAD83
    Little over 9 hrs in and internal temp of 145 in one of the shoulders and I could smell a little burning grease odor. Not wanting to risk my pork tasting like burnt grease, I checked and found that the color was nearly where I would like it so I decided to wrap all of them and return to the egg. I removed my full drip pan at the same time and only only left the spider and stone and stock grate in place. Returned all wrapped pork to finish up. No concerns with lump capacity at this time. Sorry didn’t get any pictures of the pork pre wrap. I was rushing to keep the dome closed as to not start a grease fire. 
  • Meeteeter
    Meeteeter Posts: 32
    Nice work, recently bought a large and would not have thought you could fit this much on it
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Awesome cook! Would have never guessed you could do 65lbs in a large.  55 is the most I have done in my XL and I thought that was tight.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • EGGHEAD83
    Just pulled five off and put them in a couple of coolers. Waiting on the last three. I’ve had to make a few vent adjustments and foil them a little sooner than I usually would if at all but it can be done. From the glow of the coals that are visable around my deflector stone it doesn’t look like I’ll need to reload. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    EGGHEAD83 said:
    Just pulled five off and put them in a couple of coolers. Waiting on the last three. I’ve had to make a few vent adjustments and foil them a little sooner than I usually would if at all but it can be done. From the glow of the coals that are visable around my deflector stone it doesn’t look like I’ll need to reload. 
    Keep us posted - fun cook for sure.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Very cool. Can you explain the set up and components?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Very cool. Can you explain the set up and components?
    Setup seems to be well documented with pics  in the original post 
  • Jonnysouth
    Jonnysouth Posts: 162
    Job well done! And how did you enjoy the compliments once guests ate your pork godliness??
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Great post...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EGGHEAD83
    Pulled the last three at around 2:30 am then stored in a cooler for a few hours. This is what I’ve got. 25 lbs of N.C. goodness. The bark was not impressive but I expected that due to the cramped space and lack of air flow and also wrapping at a lower temp. This also affected the smoke flavor, could use a little more. Overall it turned out well. Taste and texture is good. I’ve got it refrigerated now. The wedding isn’t until 5:00 pm. I just wanted to start early. This was uncharted territory and I didn’t know what to expect. The set up is simply a spider and stone in the lowest position with an BGE eggspander on top. Two butts and a shoulder on the bottom grid, three shoulders on the middle grid and two shoulders on the top grid. The next time that I try this I’ll use all butts, they sit more flat than the shoulders and I think they would fit a little better. 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    Home run... Also now no pressure... Enjoy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • EGGHEAD83
    Thank you @johnmitchell and thank you to everyone for looking and all of the kind words. It was a new challenge and I learned a lot. Overall good experience. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Most impressive undertaking and outcome.  You have set the LBGE pulled pork quantity at an extremely high level.  Congrats.
    Any special tricks for the reheat or just sealing the pans with foil and using the clock box??
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.