Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon seasoning

Once a month I cook bacon for a men’s breakfast at my church. I am looking for a seasoning. We cook it at high heat in a convection oven. Recently I used 2 parts dark brown sugar, 1 part black pepper, 1 part chipotle pepper. It tended to burn because of the sugar. Any thoughts on alternatives?  Thanks. 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Use less sugar, lower the heat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    I agree with @Photo Egg. I think your ratios are good, just use less and keep it below 400.
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • eme
    eme Posts: 6
    Good ideas. Thank you. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Use turbinado sugar instead of regular brown sugar.  It has a higher burn temp.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Might also be able to par cook the bacon, pull it off and season and toss back on. This would reduce the time the seasoning was exposed to the heat.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Photo Egg said:
    Might also be able to par cook the bacon, pull it off and season and toss back on. This would reduce the time the seasoning was exposed to the heat.
    I agree with everything above, but this one the most. 
    I cook at a longer time at a lower temp and then season a few minutes before pulling it out of the heat. Turns out great every time. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    since you do this once a month, really WOW them with some home cured bacon
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    This seems to be commonly believed in the BBQ world.  Regular brown sugar and turbinado sugar are chemically nearly identical.  Biggest difference is crystal size.  I can't see how the burn temp would be any different.  Crystal size may change the time it takes, but not the actual temp.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• I may be banned for this comment, but IMO, by far the best method for cooking bacon is the microwave. It really is. 60-90 seconds per slice, depending on your preference for doneness. Since my wife introduced me to this technique, I have never even thought about going back to other methods. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    This seems to be commonly believed in the BBQ world.  Regular brown sugar and turbinado sugar are chemically nearly identical.  Biggest difference is crystal size.  I can't see how the burn temp would be any different.  Crystal size may change the time it takes, but not the actual temp.
    brown also has a higher molasses content, might make it SEEM more burnt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    have you made pork belly burnt ends yet,   its a bacon candy game changer

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • eme
    eme Posts: 6
    Pork belly burnt are one of my most requested cooks. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will update after next cook.