Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rack of lamb

Options
never cooked one,  best method?  going with a rack on st pats day
fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    I had really good results in the sous vide for only a couple hours at 132, then a quick sear. I just used simple salt, pepper and rosemary for seasonings. A chimichurri would go well too. I would imagine a reverse sear would get the same results. Remove a lot of the fat as they are usually small and you won't have long enough to render much of it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I love me some rack of lamb. Takes all the garlic and rosemary you can throw at it.  The fat on Lamb can flare up something fierce so be mindful of how you sear. I get the best results going with a direct low 'n slow and searing at the end if enough color didn't develop. Baste frequently with evoo/garlic/rosemary to get good controlled flareups. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    edit button doesn't want to work to add this to my reply. Also I was at 134 not 132
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I love me some rack of lamb. Takes all the garlic and rosemary you can throw at it.  The fat on Lamb can flare up something fierce so be mindful of how you sear. I get the best results going with a direct low 'n slow and searing at the end if enough color didn't develop. Baste frequently with evoo/garlic/rosemary to get good controlled flareups. 
    when you do the reverse sear do you take it off below 120, rest, then a quick sear
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    poster said:
    edit button doesn't want to work to add this to my reply. Also I was at 134 not 132
    that looks good. the color with sousvide at these higher temps is something i will never understand
    fukahwee maine

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    when you do the reverse sear do you take it off below 120, rest, then a quick sear

Yeah, but I let it hit 130F at least. I think lamb is best on the medium side of medium-rare. Still pink but not rare. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Fish, how have you not done a rack of lamb yet????  

As stated above, salt pepper garlic and rosemary. If you have DP red eye express, they nailed it perfectly for lamb.
    Indirect at 225 then 500f indirect sear just before serving. I catch the lamb fat. I do not like the smell or flavor of the lamb fat falling on the coals. 
    Serve over grits or polenta ( these were garlic rosemary infused grits.)

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I like simple raised direct at 400ish. Gets a great crust and R-MR center.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRog17
    RRog17 Posts: 562
    Options
    poster said:
    I had really good results in the sous vide for only a couple hours at 132, then a quick sear. I just used simple salt, pepper and rosemary for seasonings. A chimichurri would go well too. I would imagine a reverse sear would get the same results. Remove a lot of the fat as they are usually small and you won't have long enough to render much of it
    This is exactly what I do but 1 hr @ 135. It’s fantastic!
    Canton, GA
    LBGE, Joe Jr., 28” Blackstone
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

As stated above, salt pepper garlic and rosemary. If you have DP red eye express, they nailed it perfectly for lamb.
    Indirect at 225 then 500f indirect sear just before serving. I catch the lamb fat. I do not like the smell or flavor of the lamb fat falling on the coals. 

what ive noticed is they part the legs to the local supermarket and the rack to the higher end store, i tend to cut the leg into kabobs and get a few meals. those racks are pricey for their size (web says it serves 4, hows that even possible =)  )
    fukahwee maine

• smak
    smak Posts: 199
    Options
    Here is a link to some  racks I did awhile back...  The write up has links to the recipes.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1137787/lamb-cook

I have also done this recipe on the egg with great results...
    https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/06/lamb-chops-with-pistachio-tapenade/

Side note:   I have also used the pistachio tapenade on pork tenderloin with good results as well.

smak
    Leesburg, VA
  • fishlessman
    Options
    thanks everyone, copied them all.  sundays decision,  these med changes have been like having the flu for three weeks
    fukahwee maine

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

what ive noticed is they part the legs to the local supermarket and the rack to the higher end store, i tend to cut the leg into kabobs and get a few meals. those racks are pricey for their size (web says it serves 4, hows that even possible =)  )
    Not a chance if I am there. 2 max.
    With that being said, it works out well for me because MY beautiful wife does not eat lamb. So I get a dinner and lunch out of a rack. Otherwise, I serve them as appetizers like I did above. Note the bones resting on a tenderloin. That is the only way I see it serving 4.

Looking forward to your cook!  
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Being lazy I go raised direct like @bgebrent.  Start fat side down then flip after around 10 mins.  Finish around 130*F and cook at 350-375*F for about 30 minutes.  A true banquet awaits. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    130 is the finish line Cap.  Good call.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Looks great...Nice looking meal
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....