Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 + 7 = ?

Since getting my medium BGE, I have become a HUGE fan of Boston Butt.

I've cooked em from 5 lbs to 12.

The 90 minute per pound rule has worked out well for me.  Of course, I use a meat thermometer to know when it is 195-200° but, for planning purposes, 1½ hours per pound works very well.

Here is my newest conundrum: I'm cooking for a small crowd this week. I could not find a pork shoulder (Boston Butt) bigger than 7 pounds so I bought two of those.

Do I plan the cook for a seven pound shoulder or a 14 pound one?  They will be a little crowded on my medium Egg but I may be able to leave a small gap between them.

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    In this instance, 7+7 does not equal 14. 

Cook both 7's and plan on a typical 7lb butt cook
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Youngster
    Youngster Posts: 11
    Thanks ColtsFan.  I'm envious of your outdoor kitchen :).
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    And as above, 7+7=7 in this case.  It will take a little longer for the BGE to get back to stable temperature due to the increased volume of cold protein but that's it.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Agree with @lousubcap
    Once your Egg stabilizes with 14 pounds of butt you will back cooking close to your 7 pound cooking times.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Or you could get some meat glue and stick them together and cook them as a 14 pounder.
    NOLA
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Sounds like the crew has your question answered.  May I please ask, what's the plan for seasoning, injecting, spices, etc????
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    If you are doin them tomorrow (Pi Day), you may need to apply some sort of special calculation......you would need someone much smarter than me to figure that out. If it were me, I would just avoid Thursday. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    @northGAcock - not to hi-jack this thread but tomorrow is also Steak and BJ Day.  Hopefully someone will reap the reward  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    lousubcap said:
    @northGAcock - not to hi-jack this thread but tomorrow is also Steak and BJ Day.  Hopefully someone will reap the reward  ;)
    Got it covered Captain. Carry on. ;)
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • 7 + 7 = a pretty good drink.

Flint, Michigan
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    lousubcap said:
    Check your meds first...
    https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/woman-suffers-severe-allergic-reaction-to-partners-medication-after-giving-oral-sex

(I hesitated to post that, but its almost Friday, innit?)  :whistle:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• It is funny you asked this question, because I did two 9# butts this past Saturday turbo style and wasn't sure on the math.  I just said heck with it and treated them like I was cooking one butt.   They came out fantastic as always.  Sure do love the turbo method.
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i do turbo often and its always about 5 hours regardless of size.  just alot easier to to plan it out.  

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    On my large I go 300* and it works out to pretty much 1 hr per pound.  I as well plan on butts getting done a couple hours before fo FTC.... takes stress off being ready to serve when we want....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Youngster
    Thanks everybody.

I use this recipe pretty much exactly as written including sauce and rub.  Only alterations are that I wrap in pink butcher paper at 165°F and let go to 200 before resting in a cooler for 30 minutes to an hour.  Good to know it can rest there for up to 3 hours will no ill effect.  That really does give me a big margin for miscalculation.

Just got a new Signals from Thermoworks. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

What is the turbo method?  I usually shoot for 250°F on the grill probe.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    Youngster said:
    Thanks everybody.

I use this recipe pretty much exactly as written including sauce and rub.  Only alterations are that I wrap in pink butcher paper at 165°F and let go to 200 before resting in a cooler for 30 minutes to an hour.  Good to know it can rest there for up to 3 hours will no ill effect.  That really does give me a big margin for miscalculation.

Just got a new Signals from Thermoworks. Looking forward to seeing it in action.

What is the turbo method?  I usually shoot for 250°F on the grill probe.
    alot of us have gone over 6 hours in the cooler, 3 hours is very safe.  i wouldnt experiment with a different method on the big day, go with what you know
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Youngster
    Whoops.  Forgot the link. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/north-carolina-pulled-pork-242247.  It is Coastal Carolina Style.  High on vinegar and low on sugar and tomatoes.
  • northGAcock
    Botch said:
    lousubcap said:
    Check your meds first...
    https://kutv.com/news/offbeat/woman-suffers-severe-allergic-reaction-to-partners-medication-after-giving-oral-sex

(I hesitated to post that, but its almost Friday, innit?)  :whistle:
    Good news bad news story. Good news for him....she is a swallower. Bad news is, she was a swallower.

• lousubcap
    @northGAcock As you are aware, there are three kinds of women in the world; swallowers, spitters and those that don't.  With the pressures of 3/14 on the horizon I wonder how many will engage??  ;)
  • northGAcock
    lousubcap said:
    @northGAcock As you are aware, there are three kinds of women in the world; swallowers, spitters and those that don't.  With the pressures of 3/14 on the horizon I wonder how many will engage??  ;)
    I can prolly go ahead and predict my outcome.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

You can give this a looks see.  As if they needed another reason to not do something.  

http://www.dentalproductsreport.com/dental/article/link-between-oral-sex-and-oral-cancer-video

The hygenist in this video is someone I used to work with.  She does a great job of breaking it down.   
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Youngster
    I ended up doing a turbo butt by mistake.  My fancy new ThermoWorks Signals, 4 Channel, WiFi connected thermometer did not save me.

I put up a two star review of Signals on their site yesterday evening.  It had disappeared this morning.  That explains why the reviews on their site are overwhelmingly positive while their reviews on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store are overwhelmingly negative.

I would steer clear of both Signals and the Smoke Gateway until they get their act together.  They have had 2½ years to get it right but are a long way from getting there right now.  I also had issues with a probe, battery life and spontaneous and permanent app disconnect that appeared to be hardware based as the solution was to turn the Signals off and on again.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Youngster said:
    I put up a two star review of Signals on their site yesterday evening.  It had disappeared this morning.  That explains why the reviews on their site are overwhelmingly positive while their reviews on the Apple App Store and Google Play Store are overwhelmingly negative.

Thanks for that info.  I have the Smoke and have had no issues, and its purchase was based on my 5 or 6-year-old Thermapen which has also been issue-free.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure