Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Has anyone tried Dizzy Dust Spicy on Chicken Wings

Options
dstearn
dstearn Posts: 1,702
So my plan is to use my new Vortex with some wings this weekend. Has anyone tried the DD Spicy on them? Is the Spicy overpowering on the wings?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    I would give the spice the "wet finger dip and lick" (this is not to be confused with other applications... =) ) test.  If it passes then give it a go.  Or go half with a tried and true rub and then try the new rub on the rest.
    Can't go wrong iwhr DD unless there is too much heat for you.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE put some together this past weekend.  One batch, he just finished w BBQ sauce.  The other he finished w BBQ sauce and Franks mixed. 

The weak among the group thought they were both a bit too hot. 

I liked them both.  Neither even came near to overpowering.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    dstearn said:
    So my plan is to use my new Vortex with some wings this weekend. Has anyone tried the DD Spicy on them? Is the Spicy overpowering on the wings?
    Yes we’ve used it on wings, has a great taste; however, we still tossed them in hot sauce and butter. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    I have. I liked it. I don't sauce my wings; if that maters. Two of my guests thought they were too hot. I made half with DD Spicy and half with Jamaican Firewalk. The two hot crowd really enjoyed the latter. 
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    I tried it on chicky wings and used the entire sample pack on 7 flats & 7 legs
    portons.  IMHO it was a tad too spicy for me
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Go ahead and hit those wings hard with it.  Just make sure you have plenty of ice cold beer on hand! =)
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia