Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

45 min RIBS*yeh right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Got a new egg a few days ago.. Man am I ever going to have fun with this thing. Everytime I see it I want to go over and kneel in respect to my new "KING"!![p]Used the Rib directions in my cookbook/manual. It says cook for 45min to an hour, so I did. They are chewy like shoe leather. That tells me they are undercooked. As I read some of the post in this forum I noticed everyone is cooking ribs for 3hrs. Why does this cookbook suggest 45min? Is it possible to get ribs cooked in 45min @ 300deg?[p]Thanks for your input. This is a great site! Talk to you later in the Forum.

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    soreteeth,
    It is pretty much accepted on this forum that the book goes in the trash. No, it is not possible to get tender ribs in 45 minutes. Many methods used by the folks here for ribs. 3 hours is about the minimum you can expect for babybacks. My favorite ribs are done indirect at 275 or so for 5-7 hours. [p]Soo chuck the book, and don't hesitate to ask here for info on any cook you have planned.
    Welcome!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    soreteeth,
    I can get nice, tender ribs, albeit a bit crisy like I like them, in about an hour and 45 minutes direct heat. There are many ways to cook ribs and with practice they all turn out to be great.
    JimW

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JimW,
    I had forgotten about your technique. You have that method down! I was truly suprised when I tried those ribs at the Eggfest last year. I do believe you are the only one who can pull that one off![p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    ribset28.jpg
    <p />soreteeth,[p]Welcome soreteeth,[p]Never believe all you read- and never read that manual. Actually teh manual is ok but the recipes are pretty bad, the one you referred to is the one that made me buy my Large Egg. I had distroyed dozens of racks of ribs by attempting to cook slowly on a grill - never worked! When I saw that you could do them in 45 min, well............ it was in the car in 10 min. I sure am glad I found JJ, C~W, KennyG and the others old timers before I ruined another batch. No way can you do them in 45 or even near that but that's marketing. Who would have bought an egg if you told them upo front in would take 5 hrs. After you taste slow cooked ribs you will take Mr Humptey to bed with you (please post that picture when you do).[p]Link bwlow might give you some moe ideas. Feel free to ask a question here before you cook anything - great advice is here for the asking.[p]<FONT COLOR="#007F00"><FONT SIZE="5">WELCOME</FONT></FONT>[p]Tim
    [ul][li]Tim m's home of the BGE - and cookbook[/ul]
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    As you can tell the feelings on the cookbook are pretty negative. I'm thinking that we all should petition BGE to update the book. I don't understand why they would let such a GREAT product go out the door with recipes that not only are inferior but actually unable to produce an edible product. I feel we shouldn't NEED to throw out the book, it should be a guide to start us on the road to the best food ever. Maybe we should all email BGE with a recommendation to update the book, I, for one, will be doing just that.[p]

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Chuck,
    They are working on a new cookbook at this time. Many of us have tested submitted recipes and given our opinions as to which should be entered into the new printing. It is a slow process as they want to put out the best possible manual. Knee jerk reaction would just make a bad situation worse. Hang in there it will get better.

• ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    Chuck, I seem to remember that about 3~4 yrs ago we were saying the same thing.;) At that time the company was supposed to be updating the 'old' book and would be coming out with a new version based on recipes/techniques mostly gleaned from the this site. Obviously it didn't happen but you're right about the present book, its too outdated to be of much value. Also at that time, someone on the board (I don't remember actually who, so I won't guess) was talking of writing a cookbook featuring posters recipes and was wanting egg'ers to send his wife their recipes and she was going to compile them into a book devoted to the BGE. I don't think that went very far either but it was tried.
    Oh well, I'm just reminescing (sp?) but don't fret about it people cause you can just about always find what you need right here, and it don't clutter up your kitchen shelves like all the other unused books do. :)
    Later, ChefRD

• JJ
    ChefRD,
    That was me and my wife, Kathleen, was going to do it but BGE wanted to have the tested recipes submitted to them for a reprint. It would have been a snap for her as she is a published author of several books.

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    soreteeth, I was given the same line. I told the dealer to take his time and cook me a slab of ribs and then I'll decide to buy or not. He took 3 hours and was pretty good. I usually cook 5-6 hours. All good things come to those who wait.
    Welcome and good egging to you.[p]CWM

• Chuck
    JJ,
    I'm glad to hear a new book is in the works. As ChefRD points out, this forum is all "I" need to get some great information, ideas or recipes. My concern is more for those that are not aware or have no access to this site. Its just a shame that someone has to ruin some ribs or whatever because of bad advise. I will heed your advise and patiently look forward to the book in the works, if it is as good my BGES, it will be awesome.[p]Chuck

• JJ
    Chuck,
    As good as the new book will be it will never surpass this forum for assistance or recipes

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Chuck,[p]A manual can only offer a step by step process that you then need to interpret to cook your meal. A manual only describes how to cook something a certain way. It does not offer assistance if you have questions on the process.[p]You already have access to the very most up to date recipe database and cooking technique information for the Egg available - this forum.[p]This forum represents the current state of the art of using your Egg to help create a great meal using the Egg. The information provided here is much more than one procedure to cook the meal and very often offers many possible recipes and techniques for the cook. Help is just a post or email away.[p]It is quite impossible to print a manual that would even come close to providing the consumer that has internet access what BGE has already created in this forum.[p]Spin[p]
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Chuck, I really think that the concept of a printed cookbook is kind of outdated. BGE should merely create and maintain the cookbook as part of this website! [p]The first thing that I did was put the BGE cookbook in a place where it will never be found again. I started my site as a collection of recipes (many of which appeared in the forum as posts) and have changed and modified them with time. Example - My current recipe for beef jerky is very different than the original. Changing it was easy - actually both appear on my site. I know that Tim does that same thing.[p]The problem with paper cookbooks is that they have to be reprinted/republished to be kept up to date - I merely add a page to my site and everyone has instant access and updates.[p]Just my thoughts. :~}[p]

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • ChefRD
    ChefRD Posts: 438
    JJ, thanks for the update. I knew we'd get a new book someday, but I really don't care cause I know you can always get the latest and the best info about eggin' here. A printed book will be nice but you won't be able to ask questions/explanations or get the insider tips that you can usually get from the authors here. I expect to continue learning here, and the book will be for reference purposes only ;).
    Heres to ya'
    ChefRD

• JJ
    ChefRD,
    You nailed it good. The forum is the ultimate place to get the latest and best information regarding cooking on the EGG. No cookbook can keep up with the BGE forum family and its expertise.

• Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Chuck,sales of over 2000 units per month may have something to do with it!.[p]
    Mop!

• Chuck
    Wow, I didn't think including an accurate cookbook would be a bad idea. For the record, I would not trade the information, recipes, knowledge, camaraderie and new friends that I have discovered on this forum for any book that has or could be written. The point is that not everyone is as fortunate as we are to have internet access. Just today I was telling a friend that lives in an area with little or no internet access about my egging. He is probably going to order one, having heard how much my family and I are loving the eggsperience. What a shame it will be if his first cook is ribs for 45 minutes. [p]I'll admit a petition my be a little severe, and retract that suggestion, but I am glad to hear that a better book is in the works. Sorry if I came accross a little harsh. I meant nothing but to help others in their discovery of the BGE.[p]Chuck[p]
  • JJ
    Chuck,
    You did nothing wrong. Helping others is what we are all about. No apology necessary!!!

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Car Wash Mike, I will let ya cook for me too..your in the ballpark. Hold that temp to under 250F..and you win nearly every time..Only difference might be a highlander hog or a flatlander..or mountain wild boar...:-)[p]
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    JJ,[p]I agree. No apology necessary. It would definitely be nice to have an updated cookbook. However, as you know and as many others have pointed out, the forum will always be more up to date than any printed material since people are contributing every day. This is an intrinsic way the web has changed information exchange in general. What's easier - a content provider who writes a book and publishes and sells a million copies finding something to add and then reprinting and distributing a million copies or that same writer editing a text file on some server that the million people can access through a url? The answer is obvious and it's an intrinsic benefit of the web. That being said, I, too, like nice printed books and think it would be cool for BGE to update their book. The latest and greatest, though, will be on the Forum until another medium surpasses the web.[p]Philosophicfed