Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

MEATER Isn’t Cheater

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
For those of you on BBQ-Brethren, you probably saw a thread related to the title above. First time using the block since it arrived.  

Cooking two briskets on the XLBGE, one for us and one to payback the guy at work who turned the shaving bowl and brush for me. Block is inside the house about 20’ from the Egg. 

Satisfied so far. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• Meeteeter
    Meeteeter Posts: 32
    Options
    Pretty new to the egg so maybe I'm asking a dumb question.  Why is there such a large difference on the ambient temps?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Meeteeter said:
    Pretty new to the egg so maybe I'm asking a dumb question.  Why is there such a large difference on the ambient temps?
    That is actually a great question. In most cases it's because the pit probe is more exposed to the radiant heat of the lump (not fully shielded by whatever you are using as the indirect piece (platesetter, stones, etc). The other common explanation is that one probe is pushed in much closer to the cold meat and it's giving a low reading compared to one that is further away. If both of these briskets are on one grid (which you can do on an XL), that means the probes could be close to the edges and picking up more direct radiant heat. Radiant heat is much hotter than ambient heat which is what you are using to actually cook the briskets (direct heat= radiant, indirect = ambient)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,647
    Options
    I wish smobot was wireless, i love that thing
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Meeteeter
    Meeteeter Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks Cen-Tex, that makes sense 
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Do you have a picture of your setup?

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• CTMike
    Options
    These are a couple of IBP Choice briskets from Walmart. Rubbed with Oakridge Black Ops and a sprinkle of coarse black pepper and kosher salt. One is for a friend at work as payment for the shaving bowl and brush he turned for me (posted in “Another Lemming Joins The Crowd” thread). That is why the bottom brisket was panned - wanted to catch drippings to include when vacuum sealing his brisket. 

Once they hit the stall they were wrapped in pink butcher paper to ride until the finish. 

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • zahulio
    zahulio Posts: 135
    Options
    @CTMike do you find the ambient temps useful? Would you adjust your vent setting (or temp controller) based on them?

I had the MEATER probe, and it is super-cool! 
    But I was dissapointed with ambient temp measurements.  Seems like it is too close to the meat to get a proper ambient grill temp, so I couldn't rely on just the MEATER by itself to temp adjustment. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    zahulio said:
    @CTMike do you find the ambient temps useful? Would you adjust your vent setting (or temp controller) based on them?

I had the MEATER probe, and it is super-cool! 
    But I was dissapointed with ambient temp measurements.  Seems like it is too close to the meat to get a proper ambient grill temp, so I couldn't rely on just the MEATER by itself to temp adjustment. 
    Nah, I’m really driving by the BGE thermo and using Meater to track internal temps and estimate the finish line. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    The brisket on probe 3 never really stalled, this was the brisket on the lower level. The BGE thermo is running 330 F, pretty stable all day. Moved the second brisket to the lower level to finish. 

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • bangor307
    bangor307 Posts: 139
    Options
    Nice setup and the brisket looks great! I see you on the brethren and enjoy your posts there too!