Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Opinions on my new/used BGE and Table? (with an AIR GAP question)

KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited March 2019 in EggHead Forum
I have been in the market for two things casually...  a 2nd BGE (or KJ) and an egg table.
Recently a used item popped up for $1500 which included a very well maintained large BGE and an attractive granite topped egg table.  It also came with a lot of accessories that I didn't need (pizza stones, looflighter, digital temp control, and various other tools).
Think this was a good deal?  It was more than I wanted to spend, but I suppose if I bought a new KJ with some extras it would have cost me that, and I couldn't have touched the table for that price alone. I have checked out some cheaper tables but none as nice as this one.
I wanted a 2nd egg so I can do long cooks away from the house, and also to have an egg down in the yard when entertaining.  For most of my cooks, though, I'll use this new/used one that is on my deck.
QUESTION - the egg station is made out of marine grade PVC with a granite top and a square of granite under the egg. When we were reassembling the unit I noticed a significant crack that sits under the granite square that the egg sits on.  The seller said he had only used the egg about 10 times.  The crack looked like heat damage to me but could have been material flexing over the shelf support. (image below)
I was not worried about the strength of the shelf since it has another support directly under the egg (between the two front doors), but I was concerned about the heat that radiated through the granite to the PVC.  So, when we reassembled the setup I decided an air gap would be prudent.  I could not find any suitable washers but I had 4 stainless steel S hooks which I put under the egg (you can see two of them sticking out the front).  Do you think these will be suitable or should I replace them with something else?  Seems pretty strong, there are 4 of them, and I suspect any air gap will prevent further heating of the PVC shelf that is under the granite.
Thank you for any opinions, advice or assistance. I'm certainly excited to finally have a nice looking station for the egg.  I was getting tired of the fold-up wooden shelves on my nest.

It is tough to tell in the picture, but the size of this crack is just shy of the diameter of the egg base.  It runs front to back kind of along the top of a support that sits under this.  So it could have been the material flexing while heated also I guess. After I took this picture I filled the crack with that Permetex high temp Ultra Copper Gasket Maker that we use to apply the rutland gaskets. The inner circle that is shown appears to be PVC that was impacted by heat.  (maybe it melted the surface slightly?)

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I believe your air gap is sufficient (FWIW) and that you got a nice deal on the entire set up.  It's sharp.  Once you confirmed PVC as I looks like wood at first glance.  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • PBandJ
    PBandJ Posts: 92
    I would definitely have that sitting in a table nest.
    Woodbridge, Va.
  • FWIW:  some teracota spacers would allow a greater air gap
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • KiterTodd
    Thanks for the feedback. 

I was hoping one of the egg physicists here had done the math on heat loss through air. 😉

It is PVC which I feel good about because it’s weather proof and easy to maintain, but, I think that’s also why I had that crack under the granite. (softer material) 

I’ll look up the table nests as well.  
    LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    edited March 2019
    FWIW I did find a lot of good information in this older thread if anyone is looking for table nest options.
    I'm still not sure if I should get the BGE nest for $75, the Amazon Titan version for $46, knockoff for $36 that has two poor reviews, the 4 porcelain feet sold also on Amazon for $18... or just stick with the 1/4" gap provided by my s-hooks.  If I had some 1" square steel tubing, I'd probably just use that.

If anyone has a used nest they want to trade for some accessories, let me know! I happen to have some things I don't need (but I do need a Smokeware Cap, Ash Basket, nest, Flame Boss, etc...)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    the table nest from big green egg is like $30 (i have 2 and both dealers i have got them at thats about the cost), i saw JJ George had his on instagram the other day i know they are coming soon, you might reach out to him via email he is very responsive. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• KiterTodd
    Thanks, @Kent8621.  I didn’t see it come up that cheap online when I searched. The shop I bought my egg from no longer carries BGE. I’ll have to see if there are other local options.

I didn’t see it on Ace online (for local store shipment) 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    I bought several nests (when I was building tables) from my BGE dealer for $34 each.  On line prices are crazy.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,741
    Yeah, assuming it's a large you should be able to find a table nest for $30-$35.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Kent8621
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks, @Kent8621.  I didn’t see it come up that cheap online when I searched. The shop I bought my egg from no longer carries BGE. I’ll have to see if there are other local options.

I didn’t see it on Ace online (for local store shipment) 
    let me reach out to JJ George to see if has any ready to ship and what he is charging, i will send you a message later today.  i know its a new product but dont know when its going to be live.

Boiler Up!!

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    @KiterTodd. Where are you in MD? I'll be in the state visiting family on the 16th. You can have mine. My table where I was using it had seen better days so I got rid of it and went with the new integgrated nest with handler. Here's a pic of the egg in its new home. I needed a new table too so bought the one the old table nest is sitting on. I have no need for it anymore.

• Kent8621
    @KiterTodd i just talked to JJ George and they will have theres ready next week about the same price as the BGE one but the deal above looks pretty good.  

Boiler Up!!

• KiterTodd
    edited March 2019
    Lvnthedrm said:
    @KiterTodd. Where are you in MD? I'll be in the state visiting family on the 16th. You can have mine. My table where I was using it had seen better days so I got rid of it and went with the new integgrated nest with handler...

@Lvnthedrm thank you so much for the reply. I got an itchy trigger finger and found one local for $31, so bought that and put it under my egg.  Seems better quality than some of the ones on Amazon, so I'm glad I got the BGE.
    Funny thing is, now the egg is just a few inches higher and I have to stand on my toes to peek in the top vent during a cook. =) But it works fine.
    Ordered the rest of what I needed from St. Louis Charcoal Company which seems to have pretty good stock of just about everything you would need! Drop them an email or give them a call when you're looking or accessories.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    KiterTodd said:

Ordered the rest of what I needed from St. Louis Charcoal Company which seems to have pretty good stock of just about everything you would need! Drop them an email or give them a call when you're looking or accessories.
    Your box 'o fun is out for delivery today!  Enjoy!
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    KiterTodd said:
    Thanks for the feedback. 

I was hoping one of the egg physicists here had done the math on heat loss through air. 😉..... 
    Some numbers to consider:

Conductivity

Thermal Conductivity -k-W/(m K)

Air  0.024

Bricks, insulating  0.15

Concrete, medium 0.4 - 0.7

Cordierite  1.6 - 3

Granite 1.7 - 4.0

SoapStone 6.4

Stainless Steel  16

Steel, Carbon 1%  43

cast iron 55

Water  0.58

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Kent8621
    if i remember right i did the math and it took 14" of concrete to get the same heat loss over a 2" air gap.

Boiler Up!!

• KiterTodd
    edited March 2019
    Kent8621 said:
    if i remember right i did the math and it took 14" of concrete to get the same heat loss over a 2" air gap.
    Wow.  That makes sense.
    It seems pretty common for people to see heat marks under a standard paver or other stone pad.  In my case it was melted PVC that was consistent in size/shape to the burn marks I see under wooden table pictures.
    It's clear that any air gap is a good one.  I probably would have been just fine with the 1/4" I had with the S-hooks, but I feel much better with larger gap provided by my new table nest.
    Thanks again for new feedback (and the old threads I researched).
    LBGE/Maryland