Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kickash basket/can

Options
g37
g37 Posts: 450
I just got my can today but unfortunately I won’t be firing up my egg today.  Chad & Tracy also included some nice goodies along with the can. What a great company fast shipping especially to where I live.  
Ewa Beach, Hawaii

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I want one for my medium 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Chad and Tracy are Family. Looking forward to seeing the real value added. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I got the same goodies along with the grill hook and stone lifter I ordered from them. I got the basket from CGS (arrived the day after the KAB order). I'll be putting the basket into the egg before I fire it up tomorrow.
    Going to smoke some beef to put in a batch of chili as well as another whole turkey breast. I'll be firing it up again Monday to grill dinner.
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • g37
    Options
    I’m definitely gonna cook on my egg tomorrow. I’m not really worried about any added benefit from the can.  I really love grilling on my egg. I’m sucker for anything Big Green egg/Kamado/ bbq related.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    Just wondering how it impacts air flow from the bottom.
    canuckland
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would buy this. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Sure is tempting!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So the KAB goes in over the top and the new can just basically catches the ash???...well except for what falls through the fire box holes.  FWIW even my original(s) KAB constructed from mild steel are still kickin' ash 😏
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Because my table looks looks like crap from the spilled ash. It gets in the vent track when you scrape it out. Closing the vent knocks the ash onto the table and subsequent rains make a mess. Even with a table nest, the ash gets on the table. I can only get about three cooks in on my medium before I have to clean out the ash.  I’m cleaning out ash 2-3x/week. It would be nice to contain the ash better inside the egg. Additionally, it’s not too different in use than the KJ removable ash catcher. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So the KAB goes in over the top and the new can just basically catches the ash???...well except for what falls through the fire box holes.  FWIW even my original(s) KAB constructed from mild steel are still kickin' ash 😏
    James ordered them for next weekend's N. Fl eggfest, plus chad will be there to demo.  So you can see them in action!
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I’m really thinking this can idea will shine for the small and mediums that are a bit more cumbersome to clean out than the larges. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • DoubleEgger
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Because my table looks looks like crap from the spilled ash. It gets in the vent track when you scrape it out. Closing the vent knocks the ash onto the table and subsequent rains make a mess. Even with a table nest, the ash gets on the table. I can only get about three cooks in on my medium before I have to clean out the ash.  I’m cleaning out ash 2-3x/week. 
    Man that all sounds incredibly traumatic.
    It’s just an inconvenience. Maybe you should start egging more then you’d understand. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Because my table looks looks like crap from the spilled ash. It gets in the vent track when you scrape it out. Closing the vent knocks the ash onto the table and subsequent rains make a mess. Even with a table nest, the ash gets on the table. I can only get about three cooks in on my medium before I have to clean out the ash.  I’m cleaning out ash 2-3x/week. 
    Man that all sounds incredibly traumatic.
    It’s just an inconvenience. Maybe you should start egging more then you’d understand. 
    Hahahahahaha
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Ordered mine last week.  That item has been in my thoughts for a long while.  Kudos to KAB for making it happen.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    g37 said:
    I just got my can
    @g37, how easy is it to lift out, can you grab it through the air intake hole?  As @DoubleEgger mentioned above, some ash is going to spill into the air intake, and through the firebox holes.  I'm curious to hear how this works out for people; I already bought a small shop-vac for not much more than $30.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Botch said:
    g37 said:
    I just got my can
    @g37, how easy is it to lift out, can you grab it through the air intake hole?  As @DoubleEgger mentioned above, some ash is going to spill into the air intake, and through the firebox holes.  I'm curious to hear how this works out for people; I already bought a small shop-vac for not much more than $30.  
    I have a shopvac too and that thing works like a champ in cleaning out any ash in my Large or MiniMax.  I stir once then suck and it's pretty clean.  I dunno.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • g37
    Options
    I haven’t tried it yet. I’m hoping to cook with it tonight. I normally cook 3 to 4 times a week on my egg but the  weather sucks right now.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    g37 said:
    I haven’t tried it yet. I’m hoping to cook with it tonight. I normally cook 3 to 4 times a week on my egg but the  weather sucks right now.  
    It's 25F and snowing right now in STL.

Please tell me how bad the weather sucks in Hawaii!!!!  :P
  • g37
    Options
    During the day we’re good but late afternoon the temp drops to 65-61. To me that’s cold I really hate to be outside. I know that’s not to  cold but to me it’s cold. I’m so use to it being in the high 80’s.  
    Ewa Beach, Hawaii
  • 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    g37 said:
    It's 25F and snowing right now in STL.

Please tell me how bad the weather sucks in Hawaii!!!!  :P
    Practically summer weather today when it hit 40F. But we're slated to get snow tonight (into tomorrow morning) so winter is still here. I know spring is coming, but we really haven't had a really GOOD snowstorm this season (so far). There's still hope though, since we've gotten snow in April before. =)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).