Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Choppers: Kinda Dry (?)

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Couple of nights ago, put on some boneless pork chops I picked up at Sam's Club, that were about an inch thick. They'd been rubbed for 24 hours in a nice chipotle based dry rub powder, and I plopped them on the Egg over a 600 degree dome temp. 4 minutes on the first side, 4 minutes on the next, and then dwelled for about 5 minutes, after I brushed on some Rum-based BBQ sauce bought during a shopping trip on Grand Cayman Island, during the Carnival cruise of a year a half ago (the wife said to start using some of these bottled sauces that are taking up cabinet space)--Anyway, they were not as juicy and moist as lamb chops, or steaks I have done on the Egg, and wondered if I should have marinated them (being boneless), and/or have done a brine on them? Should I start brining them? Cook 'em lower heat-wise and/or less time? Just buy pork chops on the bone? Thank you guys and gals!!

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Big Murth,[p]I usually do my chops at 2-2 and 4 minute dwell. 90% of the time, they're juicy/moist/scrum-diddly-umptious! I personally think it's kind of a crap shoot at the high temps at which I cook chops and steaks. Anytime you're cooking something at temps above 800*F, you have a chance of having the most awesome meal ever but also have the chance of leaving things on a minute too long and overcooking things. Many on this forum suggest lower temps. I sometimes dip to lower temps since it makes things more controllable, repeatable, and measurable. Usually, though, I go for the ultra high sear/dwell since I think when you get the timing right, it's hard to beat the flavor.[p]Cornfed
  • Uncle Dave
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Try 500 Deg. 2min. each side then down to 350 another 2 1/2 on each side. I have learned some hard lessons on over cooked pork chops. I think 4min at that high temp was too much. Try, try again thats what I do. It also keeps your meat store guy in new shoes. Mine has made a pile of dollars on me since BGE came to my house. Good luck

• Uncle Dave, I posted before reading yours (bad manners I know) but for what its worth, I agree. Chops like a lower searing and cook temperature from my experience also.
    C~W

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed,[p]Your quote!
    "Usually, though, I go for the ultra high sear/dwell since I think when you get the timing right, it's hard to beat the flavor."

You nailed it..its a tempermental cook.
    C~W
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Char-Woody,[p]Definitely tempermental. At such high temps, it's hard to control anything. There is a very small difference between a 700* fire and a 1200* fire, at least in the Small. Perhaps a tiny difference in vent settings or maybe a small difference in the quality of lump or the humidity of the day. Sometimes, it's easy to get to 1000+, sometimes it's hard.[p]I do agree that it's more scientific/repeatable to go for the lower temp cooks. Call me a cowboy, though, since I like to go for the gusto and get the uber-high temp sears now and again.[p]All in the love of great Egged meals,
    Cornfed

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Cornfed, I have to be moderate and make the other half happy too..so the lower slower more medium center cook. Myself, I like to sear em high..good dark brown exterior, and juicy light pink interior where the meat has that sweet juicy tear quality. Somthing you can sink your teeth into and have juice run down your chin while grasping the reddish brown bone in slippery fingers..Who uses napkin's knives and forks on the range anyway...:-)
    C~W[p]