Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prosciutto Wrapped Collards

Options
I made these as sides on a whim and they turned out pretty good.  I started by layering paper thin prosciutto, then raw collards, followed by ricotta cheese.  The layers were rolled and then the outside smeared with hot pepper jelly.  They went on the egg indirect at 300 until the prosciutto started to brown and jelly caramelized - approximately  20 minutes. 

They had great flavor but the collards were tough.  I am wondering if blanching the collards might help next time.

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    That entire meal looks yummy!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah, nice! I would think your instinct of blanching the collards next time is a great one. I’ve done this with asparagus but your title really caught my attention as it was something I’ve never heard of before or thought of personally. Way to go! 
  • ENCegger
    Options
    Thanks. Some of my favorite cooks have been those cooked from what’s on hand.  

You really can’t go wrong wrapping anything in cured pork and the collard-pork combo just comes natural to me. My thought process on the other ingredients was a little cheese for moisture and pepper jelly to counter the salty ham. 
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Yum! Collards are a favorite. 
    Michiana, South of the border.