Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Surf & Turf

Options
Still testing out the Anova....prime strip and lobster tails tonight. 

Steaks seasoned and bagged - 1 hr at 124 degrees  

Tails went in for 20 min at 140 while I seared the steaks. 

Still working on timing- steaks got a little over done for my liking.  I guess I seared a bit too long....I think I need to sear hotter and shorter than I’m used to. Lobster was right on. 

Cheers!
LBGE in Elm Grove, WI

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Looks incredible.  Thanks for sharing!  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Tell me about the lobster? How long and what temp did you cook them at.  This looks like an incredible meal, and I wouldn’t mind trying to replicate it.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Wanasmoke
    Options
    ryantt said:
    Tell me about the lobster? How long and what temp did you cook them at.  This looks like an incredible meal, and I wouldn’t mind trying to replicate it.  
    The lobster was 140 degrees for 20 min. I had boiled the tails for a minute and then shocked in ice bath, removed shells and vacuum sealed with salt and butter. Texture similar to steamed or boiled but very tender. 

My question is what temp and time on steaks to get a juicy medium rare?  I tried 124 for an hour then seared in CI but it was over cooked. 
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Wanasmoke said:
    ryantt said:
    The lobster was 140 degrees for 20 min. I had boiled the tails for a minute and then shocked in ice bath, removed shells and vacuum sealed with salt and butter. Texture similar to steamed or boiled but very tender. 

My question is what temp and time on steaks to get a juicy medium rare?  I tried 124 for an hour then seared in CI but it was over cooked. 
    I prefer to caveman a steak when I SV. 60 seconds/side...done. SV at 120
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Excellent work. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Wanasmoke
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Wanasmoke said:
    ryantt said:

Thanks @ColtsFan  Do you go an hour at 120?  If I reverse sear I usually take IT to 100 then I sear. Seems to get a nice crust but stay rare to med rare
    LBGE in Elm Grove, WI
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,344
    Options
    Wanasmoke said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Wanasmoke said:
    ryantt said:

Thanks @ColtsFan  Do you go an hour at 120?  If I reverse sear I usually take IT to 100 then I sear. Seems to get a nice crust but stay rare to med rare
    Usually at least an hour. Sometime, I'll just throw them in and they'll float for 2-3 hours. That's the beauty about SV
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!